![]() |
| Our newest pastime: jigsaw puzzles |
| Looking for a red head with a yellow shoulder scarf (this is some of my personal puzzle-assembly strategy) |
Much of life seems to be a puzzle. How well we separate the pieces, sorting them into groups, and then fitting them into a neat design tends to say something about how well we cope with the dilemmas of life.
Here are my responses to Joyce's Hodgepodge questions for this week. If you want to connect with your blog, click on this link: http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com/2026/07/hodgepodge-questions-volume-664.html
1. What was the last thing you celebrated?
While it was not a celebration with cake and party hats, I had plenty of reason to rejoice yesterday AFTER a techie-type problem with huge implications for disaster found me and I was able to not only get it resolved in about an hour's time, but I was CALM about it.
Then today I had extensive follow-up work to complete repairs from the mess encountered yesterday. I can say with pretty good confidence that I believe all the i's have been dotted and all the t's are crossed. Of course, time will tell.
So to get back to Joyce's question about "celebration," I am just very thankful that the Lord is maturing me with confidence to handle adversity better than my past history has shown. For me, this is celebration.
2. July 29th is International Day of the Tiger. Besides the wild animal itself, when you hear the word tiger what's the first person-place-thing-whatever that comes to mind?
Orange Tiger Lilies. In 1974 we moved into military housing at the Air Force base where my husband was stationed. It was a spacious 3-bedroom duplex with a single-car garage and a front flower bed filled with gorgeous Tiger Lilies planted by the previous occupants.
3. The expression 'eye of the tiger' describes someone with intense focus, determination, and the drive to succeed. What area of your life are you currently bringing that kind of energy to?
![]() |
| one of many peaceful scenes in our +55 retirement community |
In my current season of life as a retired senior citizen, I do my best to not get 'wrapped around the axle' nearly as much as I used to. This week's test with techie things was a "pop quiz", so to speak, but as indicated above, it's gone well.
4. What was the last meal you cooked?
Gary does most of our cooking but from time to time I give him a break with things like quesadillas, egg salad sandwiches, grilled ham ’n cheese sandwiches, quiche, and Pasta Alfredo.
The last time I prepared a meal for him was probably about 2 weeks ago. There are times when I need to refresh my culinary skills and let Gary just sit. 🥱😴💤
Speaking of pasta, I bought this refrigerator magnet when we were visiting Terri D in May. Carbs can provide a calming effect when we are stressed out.
I love to combine a pot of cooked pasta (any kind, any shape that's in the pantry) and smother it with a heated up jar of Alfredo or Marinara sauce, topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. I serve it in pasta bowls (the wide diameter and curved sides make chasing the noodles so much easier) and sometimes eat with a spoon instead of a fork.
5. Describe your July using exactly five words.
Puzzles, food, contentment, peaceful sleep
![]() |
| Us enjoying lunch at The Whistling Duck |
6. Insert your own random thought here.
In closing, I've done some research on the benefits of jigsaw puzzles.
Sorting and connecting pieces forces us to mentally rotate shapes and assess how small parts fit into a larger image.
![]() |
| sorting puzzle pieces into categories |
Assembling these puzzles strengthens working memory, helps with goal setting and systematic planning, and step-by-step problem-solving. (really???)
| cheerful designs make it so much more fun |
This hobby also builds long-term cognitive reserve, a protective factor against cognitive aging. (quoting Artificial Intelligence here) It aids in creating a “cushion” that helps the brain better compensate for age-related decline or symptoms of dementia. (!!!)
![]() |
| a car puzzle for Gary |
Who knew such a pleasant activity could benefit us so much?!!
You make known to me
the path of life;
in Your presence there is
fullness of joy;
at your right hand there are
pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11
Until next time, grace and peace!
Barbara














14 comments:
I haven't gotten on the puzzle kick yet, but after the benefits mentioned I might need some of that. I think I would like them very much. I did put small ones together with Palmer who loves puzzles and is great at them. Love the one with the colorful beach houses.
Tech problems --- makes me jittery just thinking about them.
I could eat pasta each and every day. The puzzles that you and Gary have worked on or currently working on look great. I love doing jigsaw puzzles and once I get the basement cleaned out, I'm going to set up a table for puzzling again. Happy Wednesday, Barbara!
I like your thoughts on puzzles. We do them in the winter when we're cooped up inside more often. You shared some good ones!
Yikes on tech issues. Good for you for making it through and staying calm!!!
I think I need to put pasta on the menu again. :)
Hooray for techic troubles getting fixed! Tiger lilies are beautiful!! I should have purchased that same magnet. May have to go look for it!! You have completed some ggreat puzzles! There are probably over 100 up at our clubhouse that we can check out. If I thought the cats would leave it alone, I would try one. I enjoy it, but am afraid it would all be on the floor before I can finish. Have a blessed rest of the week, dear friend! Hello to Gary!! xo
I certainly understand the cognitive benefits of jigsaw puzzles, Barbara, and I'm so glad that Gary and you enjoy doing these together. It is a wonderful way to keep your brain active and your connection with one another even more meaningful. I've never been a fan of puzzles, but I so celebrate those like you who find pleasure in this pastime. Blessings!
The jigsaw puzzles sound like fun!
It sounds like you had every reason to celebrate after you got your techie problem sorted.
Those flowers are beautiful and that fridge magnet did make me chuckle. My eldest practically lives off pasta. lol
Hello! I so love visiting you here, my friend. I feel like we are visiting over a cup of coffee. I am thinking Steve and I should start a puzzle together. I hadn't actually thought of all the benefits until you wrote about them here today! And, I actually eat my pasta exactly like you described!!!! I could live on it! Have a cozy afternoon, stay cool!
The upside down seating for puzzle completing is a tough position for sure. :) So far the $5 and under puzzles I've purchased at thrift stores have had all the pieces and I celebrate that! Techie accomplishments are worth celebrating for sure. Well done! Those Tiger lilies are so dramatic and beautiful. Hope you and Gary are having a great morning!
That is beautifully written Barbara. We look back and realize that all through our lives, we work on trying to put the puzzle together. Sometimes we struggle and other times it seems easy. But it always takes time and God's direction. You are such an inspiration to us all in how you live your life and share your journey. Sweet hugs from across the way, Diane
Yes, I believe we can certainly compare life to solving jigsaw puzzles many times. It seems the older we get, the more puzzling life can become, perhaps because we don't quite have the same mental stamina that we had when we were younger. I am happy for you to have resolved your "techie" issues calmly and completely! That's always a satisfying feeling, when it's over. I know the onset of techie problems can be a bit daunting and cause for panic at times, but taking things one step at a time, and finding a good tech resource person online who speaks good English is always a plus. I used to enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles, but my neck and shoulder and back (and now my right wrist) issues make doing any kind of action that requires use of those muscles for any long period of time rather difficult for me. That, plus having a space to leave it out for days at a time can be an issue as well. But I do love to see the puzzles you and Gary are doing. I bet he enjoyed that classic car puzzle! They all look interesting and challenging. Thank you for sharing this with us, and making the analogies of life lessons along the way. It's always a pleasure to visit with you here. (and in person too! LOL.)
I love jigsaw puzzles, Barbara! And I love the ones you did (or are working on) in your photos! I enjoyed seeing all your lovely photos! Thank you so much for sharing.
I have not done a puzzle in a long time. That looks so relaxing, my husband also does much of the cooking too. Wishing you a beautiful Saturday-it looks and sounds like another storm will be moving in soon.
We haven't worked any puzzles recently but I enjoy them. I tend to have one going more in the winter months since we're typically outside all the time in the summer months. I'm glad you got your tech problem sorted. That sort of thing is high on my list of stressors.
Those are some pretty and fun looking puzzles. Your photos and commentary about the benefits of puzzling make me want to break one out!
Post a Comment