Saturday, August 3, 2024

The Wind and Waves This Week

He said, "I'm goin' to milk this for all it's worth." 

Yes, he will, but we will have fun with it, which is a good idea (if at all possible) when facing tough times. With that opening, you must wonder what I'm talking about (although you surely can guess WHO I'm quoting). I'll tell you about our troubles our week but for reasons of privacy, all details will not be divulged. 

Gary makin' bacon

As some of you may already know, this past March Gary had surgery (major surgery) and in the 2-3 months that followed, he did exceptionally well. Really. 

But then problems developed that sent us to both local and out-of-town Emergency Rooms and a lot of consternation in-between. His return to mowing the lawn, as well as bike-riding was delayed,  and he really behaved himself well in an effort to not exacerbate (or to be blamed for) the problem.

surgery waiting room

We waited a long time for an appointment to see the appropriate professional for the problem, and then were told that, "Yes, surgery should be scheduled sometime in the next couple of weeks." 

But then the patient had another indication that this matter should not be put off any longer. He made a call, and within less than 48 hours, he was on the operating table and I was sitting in the waiting room, watching the status board on the wall for updates on the procedure. 

Allow me to take a real honest moment here to say that although I had every reason to expect this surgery would go well (and cancer has NOT been the issue), given life events in recent years, I did fall to thoughts that produced some lip-quivering and teary eyes with fear that history might, in a sense, repeat itself, and all too soon. In that waiting room there was a rush to pull out my hankie so I could bury my face and just quietly lose it emotionally. 

But then, just as quickly as the enemy of my soul promoted those thoughts, I remembered how incredibly generous the Lord has been to me while going through those trials. I dried my face, blew my nose, and fixed myself a cup of tea, courtesy of the waiting room amenities.

A verse I often quote to myself from Hebrews 11:6 says (my paraphrase here) that without faith, which is expecting God to take care of [whatever], we cannot please Him. 

The Lord has been so very good to me, so yes, I want to please Him! 

from a Joyce Meyer publication

About two hours passed from the good-bye kiss when they rolled Gary into surgery and when the doctor found me to say all went very well, filling in the graphic (but necessary) details. Another nearly two hours passed before the recovery room nurse called on my cell phone with the news that Gary was en route to his room. 

5th floor room with a view of the freeway

This was Gary's 4th hospitalization this year. Those who are closest to me know how important it's been to me to have safe overnight lodging when we are in this city some 90 miles from home. What we're figuring out is that when surgery is involved, requiring an overnight stay, the patient is given a single-occupancy room with [the most uncomfortable couch and recliner] for a spouse to use. Since it's not a forever situation, I welcome that furniture if it means I can stay with Gary and not miss out on anything important for me to know.

hospital Bistro breakfast

(smile) Something else I don't want to miss is breakfast in a plastic box from the hospital cafeteria (the Bistro, as they call it). I have brought this back to Gary's room for myself a number of times and really enjoyed it: a small bagel with cream cheese, a hard-boiled egg, a slice of cheese, and fresh grapes. 

Coffee. I get their coffee, heavy on the liquid Hazelnut creamer, because my stress deserves that extra treat. (yes, I "milk" the situation, too!)

The day after surgery we were free to drive home. Gary does most of the driving when we are in the car together, but for this trip, both en route and the return home, it was up to me to navigate the turn pike plus 3 other freeways and the side streets. I can hold my own, and thankfully, I've never had a mishap at all, but this is not my favorite activity. Silent prayer is my mental occupation when my foot is on the gas pedal; those prayers were met with good experiences over every mile.

We are home now and all is well. The patient is sore, which is to be expected, but since leaving the hospital he's not needed nor wanted any meds. This guy has a strong constitution. 

To get back to the beginning of this post, he thinks he should get special attention right now. Doesn't he realize I give him special attention all day, every day?! It's the way I am! 

our rings the day we committed to each other
May 14, 2022

Speaking of treating him special, the other day as we waited for his surgery, he was required to remove his wedding band. I told him I was tempted to take a pen and write on his finger, where the ring should be, "married." I didn't want the nurses to get any ❤️ ideas!!


a frequent occurrence in our home

A recent devotional email from Christian author and speaker, Susie Larson, urged us to leave "the winds and the waves" to the Lord. She was referring to the story of the disciples in a boat on a very stormy lake. While they were terribly afraid with the weather, Jesus was fast asleep in the same boat. They were astounded that the storm had not disturbed his sleep. After they roused Him, He spoke to the wind and the waves. Calm followed. 

That stormy story was timely for me, as it is for all of us, because we live in a fallen world where trouble pops up often. This week I wanted to please my Lord with a trust in Him to take care of the adversities facing me, expecting Him to deal appropriately with the wind and waves. He has done that for me, and He will do it for you, too, when you put your trust in Him.

As I close, a tropical storm is now leaving Cuba, making its way into the Gulf of Mexico and up the western side of Florida. "Hurricane Debbie," as it is expected to be named, is causing the lines at the gas stations and grocery stores. Practical preparations are being made for "wind and waves." Those who are privvy to American TV will get a chuckle out of this:

Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel

Until next time, grace and peace.



12 comments:

Mari said...

I think a sense of humor and prayer are so essential in marriage. I know you and Gary have both and are using both as you go through this together. I'm glad you are both home and everything went well, both surgery and the travels. Now to keep Gary behaving as he heals! :)
I'll keep him in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you both. You are so blessed to have each other.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the above comment is from Maggie David.

Terri D said...

Still keeping you both in my prayers and I'm so happy your sweetheart is home and healing! Thanks for the update and please let us know how he is doing! xo

Sandy said...

So glad all went well with the surgery. He does take care of the wind and the waves. We might have to daily remind ourselves of that, but He does indeed take care of us. Of course, once a storm enters the Gulf I began to pray for it to weaken and disappoint all the storm chasers. If it heads your way, you can rest assured I will be praying.

Robin in Virginia said...

Glad to hear Gary's surgery went well and that he is home resting and on the mend. Continued prayers for you both. Thank you for sharing the update, Barbara. Also praying the storm lessens and weakens. I really like the watercolor of the bird and milk jug.

Linda said...

Oh no! I am glad to know that Gary is on the mend, what a trying time for the both of you. Keeping in prayer.

ellen b. said...

Oh boy you two have endured some stormy times. This is a wonderful testimony to the goodness of God in your heart and mind. Praying that you continue building up your faith and trust in our LORD. Praying for some real good healing, too. Chuckling at the closing GIF!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

So relieved to know that Gary got through the surgery and is home to recuperate and be spoiled by you, Barbara! I'll keep up the prayers, and may we always remember to praise our God, even in the storms of life.
Blessings!

Mandy said...

I'm so glad Gary made it through his surgery ok and glad that throughout it, you were comforted along the way. Praying for a good recovery and that y'all are safe from the storm.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying for Gary's full recovery and for both of you and your family.

God bless.

Becki said...

Being rather late to reading this, I hope Gary is healing up nicely. Thank you for all the encouragement this post holds.

How We Do Things

  It's Sunday afternoon as I sit at my desk, composing this blog post. While I often carry my laptop computer to another part of the hou...