Sunday, August 18, 2024

Waffles For Supper

neighbor's Yucca plant 

It's been a more solemn week here, not all bad, just sober. I'll get to the title of this post at the end, so please bear with me. 

This Yucca plant fascinates me as I ride past it on my bicycle. I didn't know Yucca would grow so well in this humid Florida climate. I'm used to seeing it out west, where I came from. Obviously my plant knowledge is not that good but this illustrates to me that beauty can show up in unexpected places.

source - downtown Orlando

We made another trip to Orlando this past week, but it was for a post-op appointment, not an emergency. The visit with Gary's surgeon's Physician's Assistant went very well, and we got some questions answered, clarifications of what was done in his surgery earlier this month. He continues to do well. Thank you for all who have been praying.

After the appointment, we had lunch at a nearby IHOP before returning home via the turnpike. The trip is 90 miles each way and is getting easier because we are now familiar with the roads, but it's a lot of driving (defensive driving, to be honest) and we arrive home tired.

photo intentionally blurry for reasons of privacy

The week began with a happy occasion as Gary's newest great grandchild was baptized. We were able to watch that via live-stream on FaceBook, which was so cool. They live in the far north from here, so technology served us well, allowing us to feel a part of the event in spite of the distance. Little girl was peaceful the entire time, so cute with her red hair and very pretty white dress. 

Also on that day we watched the usual church service on TV that we enjoy, as we have been doing for quite some time now. We are both seniors (dare I refer to us as "elderly"??) and since one of us has had a couple of surgeries and some ER visits in the past 5 months, we take precautions to avoid a lot of time spent in enclosed areas with germs people. 

hot chocolate with giant marshmallows

Some people in church, as they settle in for the sermon, pass out hard candy (to soften the blow of conviction???). Smile. My mother never did that, but then, she was always in the front row of the choir keeping a close eye on Sister and me as we sat near the front in the pews.

Instead of the candy, and since we are at home in our living room, Gary has a nice habit of preparing mugs of hot chocolate and then floating 3 of the largest marshmallows you can buy on top of the liquid, also providing a spoon. It's a great tradition he's instigated and I love it. This makes "church" even more special.

Beloved (red shirt) and his brother

A sad thing happened since my last blog post. My late husband's brother passed. He was in poor health and then things took a sudden turn. Are we ever really "ready" when this happens, even when we are sort of expecting it? I doubt it. Death is final. Done. 

But at the same time, I wish I could have seen the reunion of these two brothers when they met up in Heaven. We will see them again and it will be good. No tears. No sadness. No regrets. Limitless joy in the Presence of our Lord.


By the way, those who have followed my posts for years know that my blog pseudonym for my late husband was "Beloved." I tried to give Gary a special blog name when he came into my life, but he asked to be just "Gary." However, here in our house I more often refer to him as "Handsome," and he allows that.

useful purchase

I have been looking for an inexpensive little table for my coffee cup when we are sitting out on the lanai. There is a lamp table to the left of my chair, but since I'm right-handed, I really needed something on my right. I had two little tables like this in my last house, but not realizing I would regret it later, I gave away both of them. This cute little table (or call it a plant stand) was waiting for me at Marshall's for only $16.99!!! I've seen them in other stores for $70. It even has a heavy marble top. Sold!!!


I mentioned recently that I've added a Book Reports page at the top of my blog. This week I wrote up more reports and I intend to continue that as time allows. While I no longer sew as a hobby, I am reading more. How convenient it is to just pick up a book and read with no other equipment required. 

Reading is a good way to go on adventures to exciting places, learn skills, and life lessons without necessarily having to live out the experiences myself. We don't have enough time to learn everything on our own, so reading helps. 

But at the same time, it is definitely true that lessons learned through the School of Hard Knocks tend to be the most memorable and effective. 

dinner last night

As for the title of today's post, "Waffles For Supper," that's exactly what we had last night.  We no longer prepare our waffles from scratch. But popping these frozen frisbees into the toaster still makes them "homemade" as far as I'm concerned. 

I slather mine with margarine and just one of the two discs gets a healthy application of peanut butter, which provides protein to the meal. Mrs. Butterworth syrup, warmed in the microwave, tops everything and leaves me smacking my lips when it's all gone.

It's been a serious week, not all bad, but still rather heavy in some respects. Comfort food. We can all relate to its benefits.

O taste and see that the LORD is good.
Psalm 34:8

Until next time, grace and peace to you.





13 comments:

Linda said...

I am so sorry for your loss...what a reunion though, I am sure of it, Barbara. I am also happy to know Gary is on the mend, been keeping you both in prayer my friend.

Mari said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your BIL, but you are right about that grand reunion!
Your little table is perfect, and the price was right too.
So glad to hear that good report on Gary - and I like your name of handsome for him. :)
I have a mint at church, but your hot chocolate with marshmallows is a great idea for the times we watch from home.

Terri D said...

I am so sad to learn of the loss of your brother-in-law. Those Heavenly reunions are what we all look forward to, though. You found the perfect table for your cup of chocolate or coffee!! I keep forgetting to pop into Marshall's for good bargains. Glad Gary's appointment went well and that you got some questions answered. Hopefully you won't have to drive into Orlando too often for doctor visits. Love to you both and wishes for a blessed week ahead! xo

ellen b. said...

Sorry about your brother in law and your earthly loss. Such a comfort to think of him in heaven, though. I love finds like that table at such a good price. I love breakfast for dinner! Have a great week with Gary (handsome).

Joyce said...

I'm sorry for your loss Barbara. What a comfort it is in our grief to have the hope of eternity with Jesus. I'm glad you found just the right table. I just did an inventory of things I need to buy for the revamped areas out back and it's a long list. I hope I find some bargains!

Marilyn M said...

I'm so glad to hear Gary is doing better and that checkup visit is behind you. So sorry to hear of your Beloved's brother passing! Easy suppers are the best! Many blessings to you!

Gabi said...

Hello from Germany, always a pleasure to read your posts. Good to hear that Gary is doing fine and sorry for the loss of your BiL. I believe that there was a big reunion.
About "elderly", we have a saying here in Germany "Old is like young. Only better!"
With these words, have a happy week!
Gabi

Robin in Virginia said...

I am glad to hear that Gary is doing well with his recovery and you were able to get some clarification and answers to your questions. Yum on the waffles. I need to try peanut butter on mine the next time. I am sorry to read of your BIL's passing, Barbara. What a darling little table for your coffee! Have a pleasant week.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I am so sorry about the recent loss of Beloved's brother, Barbara. My son-in-law just lost his mother last night. Lots of grieving for those we dearly loved, but we know they are now with Jesus, in the room He told us He was preparing for us.
Blessings to Gary and you!

Carol said...

So glad Gary's check-up went well and that he's doing better, Barbara. Hopefully, you won't have to make any of those long trips into Orlando for quite a while. Such a sweet new baby and how blessed you were to be able to watch the baptism via FaceTime. I'm sorry to read about your brother-in-law--he and your husband look like twins in that photo. Love that cute table--Marshall's has such great accent pieces for wonderful prices, don't they? And yes--I'm another waffles for supper lover. Often have them when my husband is on his biking trips :)

Sandy said...

I am slowly catching up on my blog reading. The last couple of weeks have been just busy. Not all bad, but busy.
I am sorry to hear about Tom's brother. No doubt you were somber. And that area that you speak of traveling is one of the hardest drives. Defensive driving for certain. I would be exhausted too on that drive. I am happy to hear Gary's procedure is going well.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Those waffles look delicious, we eat frozen Eggo waffles here at our house. :o)) So glad Gary is doing well and hopefully he'll be "good as new" soon and back to bike riding. Blessings abundant!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying for you all, especially for good health. Please accept our condolences and also our good wishes for the baptism.

God bless you all.

The Ministry of Green

multi-purpose path in my neighborhood The current rainy season has just deposited another deluge of water in my neighborhood. It is mid-to-l...