Sunday, July 28, 2024

A Straightforward Summation


Claude Monet 1840

Much has been popping in the news these last couple of weeks, a lot  of it mentally fatiguing. Composed, tranquil scenes nurse my battered spirit, so when somebody posted this artwork by Claude Monet on FaceBook, I lingered on it.

Skipping past politics, I'm scripting my frank thoughts about the Olympics opening ceremonies. Some of my readers may be taken aback with what I will say here. But every once in a while I feel the need to stand up and speak in a stronger voice.

We live in a good time zone (USA's Eastern Daylight) and in a favorable season of life (retirement) for watching events live, as they unfold.  With our relaxed lifestyle we are sometimes spared the time-delayed, edited versions of current events that are often broadcast at our bedtime.


The display of smoke from a bridge in the colors of the French flag was an impressive start, and the high-in-the-sky views of the city of Paris were fascinating to this one who has never been to Europe. Having the teams parade before the world via boats on the River Seine was clever, resourceful, and a refreshing change from the hours of endless marching on the tract of a gigantic stadium. I liked that.

Athlete interviews gave us a glimpse into the excitement of goals achieved and prizes yet to be won. Without a doubt, determination, endurance, and persistence got them to a place of deserved respect on this world stage. The coming days will uncover to themselves and the audience more traits of character as victory or defeat are achieved.

The music, dancing, and much of what followed in the name of entertainment was at times shocking to my conservative sensibilities. While I have lived a rather sheltered life in many respects, even if I were more widely-traveled and had more education, I would have been put off by some of the displays of the opening ceremonies. 

Required reading from my school days educated me somewhat about the characters that apparently represented French literature. I understand how the host country works to acquaint the world with their history, beauty, talent, and individuality through music, dance, and art.  

There was a most irreverent display of what much of the world has historically defined as sacred, the Last Supper with Jesus Christ with His disciples (which took place just hours before his arrest and crucifixion).  It was a disrespectful snub to Christ-followers, all in the name of culture, I guess. But surely not all of the country hosting the Olympics is that insensitive to what is holy. I hope not, anyway.

The performance by Celine Dion was powerful and surely a victory for her in the light of the debilitating illness that has changed her life in recent years. That was an illustration and a tribute of what can result with the same determination, endurance, and persistence that got the competing athletes to this event. 

source

The entire event that evening ran very long, and most especially the running of the Olympic torch to its final destination at the very end. It was the very end that strongly conjured strange thoughts in my imagination, almost comical. 

movie trailer

Did you ever see the 1990 movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, Joe Versus the Volcano? Natives on a faraway south Pacific island, a volcano, a not-so-smart fella with an even more naive blond gal, thoughts of throwing somebody into the erupting mountain to achieve [something]. 

The massive display of fire at the end of the Olympic ceremonies reminded me of that. By that point in the program, I would not have been too surprised if the spectators surrounding the huge ring of fire rising into the night sky had bowed down on their knees in some act of worship submission. 

source

Did you know I could be so candid? This is a side of me I don't often allow my public to see.

We have, since that show, watched some of the competitions, enjoying the skill and wholesomeness of good sport. What a refreshing relief! 

While I'm thinking we may skip entirely the closing ceremony in a couple of weeks, I expect what we see until then will be much more inspiring and within my definition of wholesome entertainment.

And now, dear brothers and sisters,

one final thing.

Fix your thoughts on what is true,

and honorable, and right, and pure,

and lovely, and admirable.

Think about things that are 

excellent and worthy of praise.

Philippians 4:8 New Living Translation


Until next time, grace and peace.

12 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

As you will see in my post on Tuesday, I was flabbergasted by the opening of the ceremonies, especially the mocking of the Last Supper. Yes, I used to really love the summer Olympics, but I can't bring myself to watch it in real time. I'll be sure to check on how Simone does - she is fantastic.
Blessings and thanks for your honest take on this!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a beautifully written post!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

We have not watched any of the Olympics because we do not have access to that channel on our TV programming system. However, I have seen enough about the opening ceremonies online to make me physically ill. It made me thankful that I was not wasting my time watching it in real time. I have already made my statement about what I thought about the debauchery displayed in a Facebook post. I appreciate your candid thoughts here as well. I believe we are all feeling a sense of horror and extreme sorrow at what we see being considered "acceptable entertainment" in our world today. I wouldn't mind watching some of the actual events of our athletes, but I really do not wish to honor this pagan display any further. It truly is disgusting. I love the Claude Monet painting you opened with. It reminds me of our Still Waters Pond now that it is once again filled with water following our beautiful rains the last couple of days. We are so thankful to the Lord for His provision! I love the last photo of the flowers too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and I echo your sentiments. Have a lovely and peaceful day.

Mari said...

We didn't see the opening events because of the time difference and I was at work. When I heard about it, I was glad I didn't see it. I feel bad for the athletes and for many of the people of France who don't agree with it. It makes me think of things that happen in the US, and I'll say to Bob - I hope people know that not everyone in the US feels that way.
I love your Monet shares. Very calming and peaceful.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Becki said...

Normally, I try to watch the Olympics opening ceremony, but this year it happened before I even realized there was a summer Olympics this year. Don't ask me what rock I've been living under. Having now heard of some of the bizarre and troubling things that were on display, I am glad I wasn't subjected to it. It certainly colors my interest in watching the games now. And I think I will probably take a pass on watching the closing ceremonies.

I'm glad you've written something about it since you watched it, Barbara.

Terri D said...

I only saw a snippet of the opening ceremonies. It doesn't interest me and I agree that it just seems overdone and way too long. I am glad I didn't see them snub The Last Supper. Our pastor even mentioned it this morning in church. What a shame and what a slap in the face. I will try to catch some of the gymnastics this week and maybe some of the diving. I am happy for the athletes and wish them all good competitions. Thanks for your post today! I agree with you (and love Monet!).

ellen b. said...

Well said. For whatever reason we did not watch the opening ceremonies. I did hear that Celine Dion was the highlight. Of course social media lit up and I knew something was amiss. We are not of this world and that gave us a great reason why. It is truly a sign of our times and Romans 1 speaks of it. We are catching some of the events like swimming and soccer. Hope you have a nice end to July!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I did not see any of the ceremony and was not aware of what you said. Not well reported in the news over here. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our response should be one of prayers and seeking God's forgiveness. He is greater than all this and can take peoples' mockery and anger. He took it when hanging there on the Cross.

God bless.

Robin in Virginia said...

Barbara, thank you for being candid and sharing your thoughts. We didn't watch the opening ceremony, but have heard of the portrayal of The Last Supper and the mockery of it. We need to pray and those who think this was okay really need to read the book of Revelations. I pray for the athletes in the coming days as they have worked and dedicated their lives to this moment.

Sandy said...

Your summation was way too kind. I was so insulted and it shows how far things have fallen. I am sad about that. I do plan to tune into the events I like but will be quick with the remote if need be. I think it was such a snub to my faith and to France as a whole. If that was all they could find to speak of about their country then they are in worse shape than I even thought.
I have always loved the Olympics so I will watch the athletes and do my best to enjoy and as Robin says pray for them in such a dark environment.

Joyce said...

I appreciated the way you expressed your thoughts here, pointing out some of the positives along with the pieces that were at best in questionable taste. At one point hubs looked at me and asked, 'What is this? What are we watching?' This earth is not our home, and it seems we're reminded of that on a regular basis lately. Have a nice day Barbara!

Billie Jo said...

Thank you for speaking your mind. I did not see it live, but was shocked at the blatant display of disrespect for Christians around the world. The backlash is comforting, and I am happy to see people fighting back. How sad. Families can no longer gather together and watch together. God help us.

How We Do Things

  It's Sunday afternoon as I sit at my desk, composing this blog post. While I often carry my laptop computer to another part of the hou...