The Lord is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

August Summer in Florida

Raspberry Sorbet on a hot July evening 
at an outdoor Oldies Music dance event

Welcoming August with the Hodgepodge questions. If you want to link up with your blog, click here.

1. What's something on your August calendar you're looking forward to? Or dreading if that's easier to answer. 

Just today Gary made reservations for us to attend a musical concert later this month featuring beautiful music from opera and theatre. The advertisement shows suits, tuxedos, and tasteful evening gowns.... sounds like a classy event to me.

VOICExperience

2. August 5th is National Oyster Day...do you partake? How do you feel about pearls? 

I have had both fried and raw oysters (although I don't remember the raw very well). The fried oysters were good, but deep-fry anything and it's usually very good. 

As for pearls, I love to wear pearls for dress-up. They look good with my graying hair.

3. Tell us about a time when you felt like 'the world was your oyster'. 


In 2017 when I moved to Florida, it felt like "the world was my oyster" with new beginnings, new places to explore, a new climate, and the delights of living close to the ocean (well, a 30-minute drive). 

On an interesting note, that "oyster" began to dissolve a little a couple of months later when Hurricane Irma marched across our city. For safety, we had to huddle in our laundry room, as the storm raged on for hours outside. 

"Spaghetti models" for Hurricane Irma 
2017

Hunkered down and praying for the best gave me time to re-assess the decision to leave Colorado. That was 9 years ago and I'm still a Florida resident, although I have moved farther inland.

4. Trip Advisor lists seven islands in the US that require no passport (for US citizens). If you're answering today from outside the US you'll still need to produce yours. An-y-way, have you been to any of the seven? Let's pretend you get an all expense paid trip to one this month...which one do you choose and why? 

Catalina Island California~Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts~Mackinac Island Michigan~Key West Florida~South Padre Island Texas~or Kauai Hawaii

I have been to 2 of the islands listed and a 3rd location that is very close to one of the others. 

Catalina Island, California in 1965


In the summer of 1965 my family lived in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California. Sister and I attended the teen version of Vacation Bible School at our church. We were part of a challenge to memorize a number of Bible verses. We both learned them all and found to our delight that the reward for all of us who "won" was a daytime trip to 
Catalina Island. We rode a ferry boat from the Los Angeles area to the island. Once there, we just wandered around the main area, found lunch, and shopped. It was a delightful experience I have never forgotten.

Mustang Island, Texas 1994 (which is just north of Padre Island, off the coast of Corpus Christi)


The summer of 1994 we drove south from our home in Colorado Springs to a luxury resort on Mustang Island, off the Coast of Corpus Christi. (Drive a little farther south to reach Padre Island.) It was a beautiful trip with gorgeous water views, and wonderful seafood.

Key West 2025
Us at the famous Southernmost Point Buoy
in Key West, Florida

We drove to Key West in February of 2025 after having spent time the previous day at the Florida Everglades. We didn't get to see as much as we would have liked due to the large crowds and looong lines of people enjoying the mild Florida winter. 

Lunch under the umbrellas

My favorite memory is our outdoor, beachside lunch with colorful chickens at our feet, pecking the ground for snacks.
 

The water close by, a cloudless sky with brilliant sunshine, and perhaps the most tropical atmosphere I've ever experienced.


Dessert that 
day:

Key Lime Pie in Key West, Florida
OF COURSE!!
with an added "crema" specialty by the chef

5. Sylvia Plath is credited with the following- 

"August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time."

Agree or disagree? In other words, how do you feel about this month? 


This graphic from Facebook says it really well. Our high temps may moderate a little in August, but October is the best month of all.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 


Grace and peace be yours in abundance. I Peter 1:2

Barbara








14 comments:

Terri D said...

Grace and peace to you and Gary, as well! Another fun Hodgepodge from our friend, Joyce! I'm hoping August isn't as hot as July has been, with the winds changing to coming in from the Atlantic rather than the Gulf. Yes, I remember Irma!! That was our first hurricane in our manufactured double-wide. A bit scary back then. Blessings, my friend!

Mari said...

I remember Hurricane Irma. But I only hear about them, have never lived through one.
I also remember your trip to Key West, what fun! The only island on the list I've been to is Mackinac Island and I think it's totally different than the others because of the difference in climate. It's a great place to visit - and no cars!
I hope it cools off for you, and I like that last meme you added. Puts things in perspective.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yes, I remember Hurricane Irma too...we were still in Salt Springs. It didn't do too much damage where we were, but our power did go out for a couple of days and we got to use our generator. I think some trees blew down on the road, but where we lived in the middle of the Ocala National Forest, that was to be expected. It was fun to see neighbors that we didn't even know we had out there come out with their power saws and cut up the trees so everyone could get down the road. I enjoyed your post and hearing about the "islands" you have visited. I haven't been to any of those, but we did visit Jekyll Island once a long time ago. Or was it St. Simons? I forget now...the one with all the big houses of the rich people from NY that they called "camps" or "cottages", but they looked like mansions to us! LOL. Yes, July has been very hot, and I am hoping August will be a little kinder to us and also give us some more much needed rain. (but no hurricanes). Hope you and Gary have a lovely rest of your week, and that you keep "cool".

Sandy said...

I love the popcorn guy. Too true! I know it can seem crazy to love such a hot place and always the hurricane in the back of the mind. Cuz they are really always in the back of the noggin from this time until mid October. I used to say September until Opal decided to arrive in October and then more recently to see what Michael did in October.
Always looking for things to do that are cool. This week has been better than the last 2 so there is that. and ice cream!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Your last meme says it all, Barbara. Surprisingly, our August in Georgia has started out on the mild side with rain and cooler temps. Who knew? Blessings to you and Gar!

Kim Carberry said...

Ohh! the musical concert sounds wonderful, have a brilliant time.
Florida sounds like a great place to live but the storms would scare me so much.
All the travel sounds fantastic, all the islands look beautiful!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I enjoyed your answers and "travelling" with you. Best wishes to you and all your family. God bless.

Anonymous said...

You two keep on exploring! I especially like the Key West part. The good time of others refreshes one’s own memories of fun places.

ellen b. said...

Whoa! Perspective is what that random thought gives and a good mind reset! Thanks for that. I love that prize for learning memory verses! Fabulous! Great re-visit to your island hopping. Happy August to you and Gary.

Joyce said...

That raspberry sorbet looks so good. Refreshing! What a fun memory of Catalina Island. Enjoy your August and stay cool!

Jeanette said...

I love that last meme. Puts things in perspective for sure!

Becki said...

I'm hopelessly behind on reading blogs, but a Hodgepodge is a perfect place for jumping right in. You have a way of making summer look fun, when from my perch in central Indiana it feels like a season to endure. But then I think... if we didn't have the challenging seasons of summer and winter, would autumn and spring be as amazing as they are. I enjoy reading about your fun adventures.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The last quote it perfect! I should NEVER complain again! And of course the corn on the cob made my laugh out loud! Fun post my friend. Keep the umbrella handy! Hugs from across the way, Diane

Carol said...

That popcorn couple is too cute! I'll definitely be sharing that one with my family :) We've cooled down up here in PA--only in the low 70s as I type this. And we are finally getting some much needed rain. I don't think I could live in FL with my fear of hurricanes. Irma hit my in-laws house in Naples badly in 2017 and they had it fixed up only to be hit again even worse by Hurricane Ian in 2022. That was it--the end of Naples for our family and we finally sold the empty lot this year. It was a heartbreaking loss and I don't think I could go through it again. I'm glad you are safer inland!

A Method For Book Study

just some of our books Today I am sharing with you a book report and some of my methods for Bible and book study.  I read a lot of scripture...