The Lord is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Returning to the Puzzle Metaphor

 


Those of my readers who are students of the Bible are familiar with the above verse. Truly, in God's calendar, there is the right time for everything. It may not seem like the right time to us, but the God of the universe is in charge and even the most untimely events are in His ultimate control and for accomplishing His purposes.

Me (yellow) and Sister D (orange)
watching a Colorado rodeo during a rain storm
2017

It's just been an odd-feeling time. I'm starting to lose count of how many of my peers have recently died, but the number has increased even in the short time since I began composing this post!! 

Sister D and I (pictured above) have been close BFFs since, I don't know, maybe 2003? We met at church in Denver. Then sometime after that, 3 more gals became close with us for a total of 5. We got together often to celebrate our birthdays and for anytime we just needed girl talk, food, and laughter. Oh my, the laughter!

Then one of our group, a single gal, suddenly died. Probably a heart attack or something similar. She had put her dinner into the microwave and stepped out to her patio to wait for it to cook when Jesus came to get her. She was found a day or two later after her employer reported she had not shown up for work. 

We all sat together at her memorial service and bawled out loud together. We knew she was in a much better place, but her absence was deeply felt by all of us.

Years went by and 3 of us moved out of Colorado but still kept in touch. One remained in Denver.

left to right: BeeBee, Peggy, Sister D, me

The year after I moved to Florida, the 4 of us all got together at my home in Jacksonville. At the time my house was huge, so I could accommodate my 3 guests each with their very own bedroom and not everyone had to share a bathroom! (!!! those were the days!)

L-R: me, Peggy, BeeBee, & Sister D
My late husband was the designated chauffeur and he rented a larger vehicle so we could sightsee together in comfort.

L-R: me, BeeBee, Peggy, & Sister D
St. Augustine

We took them to Jacksonville Beach, walked the pier, and ate lunch. On another day we went to St. Augustine. Lunch on St. Simon's Island was a big hit, too. The laughter was frequent mixed with occasional tears as we remembered our dear Sandy and shared tender things one tells only the closest of friends.

A photo moment on St. Simons Island, Georgia, 
L-R: me, BeeBee, Peggy, & Sister D

Then a few years later, after a mighty battle with health problems, our Peggy was called to Heaven. Her battle was long but my understanding was that her actual passing was gentle. Again, we have no doubt where she is today.


This past week another one of us slipped off to eternity. BeeBee's service was today and although Sister D and I could not make it to Texas for the observance, we were there in spirit (and also in the slide show of photos from BeeBee's life). 

BeeBee had a strong ability to make us all laugh so hard that we ached. One year for Sandy's birthday, she invited us to her apartment. Just as lunch was finishing up and we thought it was time to leave, she told us to stay. A visitor was coming. 

She had hired an Elvis impersonator to come croon his songs to us. It was so real and kind of intimidating as he got right into our faces to sing and carry on. We will still be talking about that for all of eternity, I'm sure of it!

In the mix with all these memories, Gary and I have been informed of the recent deaths of others. When news of 2 more long-time family and/or friends came just this afternoon, I felt almost inconsolably sad. As many of us at this season of life are discovering, this is when many in our peer group come to their earthly end. That's just the way life works.


I'll be honest and just admit it. Food provides a measure of comfort. Recently I commented about the benefits of pasta. Today it was ice cream topped with blackberry jam -- and TWO scoops, please! Gary suggested this. Very timely.

I was texting with Sister D (who is not my relative except we have called each other Sister D and Sister B for years because we are sisters in Christ). Sister D said her dessert of choice today is a peach dumpling (because the Palisade Peaches in Colorado are out right now -- I miss that!).

Getting back to the subject of jigsaw puzzles (my last post), Gary and I completed one the other day that had 6 missing pieces! SIX!! Today I returned it to the library in our community center with a note.

Sometimes in our lives there are losses that make us feel incomplete. Yes, as Christ-followers we know we will see our saved loved ones when we get to Heaven. We have no doubt about that.

But to be real for those of us still standing on earth's dirt, the absence of our loved ones is real. It's left to us to learn how to get along without them and that's no easy task. 

Sometimes (often, actually) those of us left behind don't handle the situation very well. Things are said and done that are regretted later. "Mistakes were made," to quote a current grocery store commercial. 

But eventually the sting of the loss softens. People need to relax and let go of the fear, the anger, and all the negatives that came into play. We are all doing our best to cope and to be at peace with ourselves and with each other. 


If we do that, the picture tends to come together and even become beautiful. 

Until next time, grace and peace be yours in abundance. (I Peter 1:2)
Barbara



1 comment:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh dear Barbara, I am so sorry for your great loss(es) so recently and close together it seems. I know how that hurts. This past year in our little church we have said farewell to so many dear friends, some of which I was closer to than others, and I do miss their sweet presence so much. And over the years I've lost other dear friends...one recently from our former community, and again, I am beginning to feel like I have more friends in heaven than I do here on earth. You are right, we are at that stage in life when we can expect that will happen, but it's still never easy. Even when we know we will see them again in heaven, we still have to live here without their presence and it hurts. And we both know that at this stage in life it isn't always easy to make new friends that you feel such a close bond with. I am thankful for our friendships here in blogland, and especially for those we have been blessed to meet in person (((HUGS))), and I look forward to our common bonds and warm communications here on a regular basis. We are blessed to have this medium to connect us together...even so, the in person connection is really special. Thank you for this post today. My heart goes out to you. And the ice cream with blackberry jam really looks good. I've never tried that before! But I can see where that could be good comfort food. Sending you (((HUGS))) and prayers for those who are grieving today.

Returning to the Puzzle Metaphor

  Those of my readers who are students of the Bible are familiar with the above verse. Truly, in God's calendar, there is the right time...