Monday, September 2, 2024

September Summer

 

"Balloon Glow" in Colorado Springs, CO
September 1, 2024

Today's post is titled, "September Summer" because, while many of my blogging friends are posting the very first signs of approaching autumn in their locales, daily temps here in North Central Florida continue to easily register in the low to mid-nineties. There has been some relief with a little less humidity, and believe me, I don't take that for granted. 

While I don't miss shoveling winter snow, I could do with a bigger indication of changing seasons. Ah well.

I have lived in Colorado Springs twice in my adult years (1977-1979 and 1988 - 1995), so one of the thrills that came with Labor Day weekend was the annual hot air balloon festival. Not as large as the one in Albuquerque but still very impressive, the display of lit-up balloons at dusk was a treat. After parking the car, we would walk to the scene and wander between the balloons with the crowds. At that time of evening, all the balloons were securely tethered to the ground but the burners were running full blast, illuminating the scene with wonderful color and even filling our ears with the noisy blast of the fires. I do miss that.

Pikes Peak from the perspective of
Garden of the Gods

Before I leave the topic of Colorado Springs, here is another photo recently posted on FaceBook of a much-loved, familiar scene. Pikes Peak is one of many "fourteeners" as Coloradoans call them (mountain tops at 14,000 feet, or more, in elevation). On a clear day (which is easily at least 325 days out of the year), the city can see the Peak that looks down as if in charge of all that is going on. 

Well, so much for that stroll through some memories. It's been seven years plus two months since we left Colorado in the rear view mirror to retire in a state closer to the grandchildren with a lower cost of living. I have no plans to go back, especially now that the last of my family we left behind have also moved on to another state.

downtown Jacksonville on the
St. Johns River in 2017

A lot of memories have accumulated since coming to Florida, many of them documented in my blog posts. I won't go back to visit them right now except with the insertion of a couple of snapshots.

light house in St. Augustine

My life's destiny has been to relocate to new places (10 states and Canada, 13 schools Kindergarten through high school graduation). I learned long ago it's best to accept what I cannot change and live by the adage to "bloom where you're planted." 

Little Birdie Blessings blog

This Bible verse attests to the benefits of acceptance and has tutored me during the more difficult changes put upon me:

But godliness with contentment
is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world,
and it is certain
we can carry nothing out.
I Timothy 6:6-7 KJV

wall decor in my last house
(probably from Hobby Lobby)

Thus far the memories I've made in Florida can be described as both eulogy and rhapsody and a lot in-between. As far as it may depend on me, I intend to remain a Floridian because no place this side of Heaven's gate is perfect (and moving is a lot of effort for this retiree).

We made a pleasant memory this past week when we drove east of here to Daytona Beach. While the town boasts itself as the World's Most Famous Beach, our trip was for a more banal reason: I needed to return a pair of shoes ordered by mail that did not fit well. There is a large outlet mall several miles west of the hard-packed beach that allows car traffic. We got no closer to the ocean than that on this particular day.

(it's amazing what bloggers will capture for their blogs!)

With that task satisfactorily completed, we wandered in and out of several more shops and then decided to find lunch and head back home before traffic got heavy.


As one would expect, many of the popular restaurant chains and fast food eateries were represented at the outlet mall. Gary was interested in going to Buc-ee's because he'd not been inside one and we are told our town will be getting one soon. But as it turned out, although Buc-ee's has a lot of great food offerings, there was no place to sit inside the air conditioning and in Florida's heat, dining in our car held no appeal that day.

Gary with one of the eye-catching Fords

As we were arriving at the outlets, I had spotted this place with an automobile theme. Since Gary is definitely a car aficionado, and Buc-ee's was not going to work out this time, decided to suggest we dine at Ford's for lunch.


my plate

Affiliated with the Ford Motor Company, this restaurant franchise was a fun departure from our usual choices. We both had the half rack of pork ribs. Gary ordered French fries on the side and I had steamed broccoli. The food was great. But the decor was fascinating, too.


napkin with napkin ring

This swank place had cloth napkins -- an oil rag with a metal hose clamp for the napkin ring. Car engines and tools were in prominent display, setting the theme very well. 


rest room sink

In the rest rooms, the sinks were tires with a metal bowl in place of the hubcap. The water came out of a gas pump. I will say that the handle to turn on the water, which is not seen in this snapshot, was a test of my ingenuity to turn on. The lady at the sink tire beside me was as baffled as me, but together we managed to figure it out. The rest of the day went very well and since then we have been enjoying the Labor Day weekend comfortably here at home. 


cheese quesadillas

We have been enjoying the Labor Day weekend comfortably here at home. Still thinking about food, my quesadilla maker had been shoved to the back of a cabinet but I happened to spy it the other day. We had a light supper one evening of shredded cheese between the flour tortillas, dipping the wedges in fat free Fage yogurt.


burgers and fries

On Saturday Gary grilled his World Famous Hamburgers with all the fixin's on the buns, and accompanied with potatoes from the hot air fryer.


brownies 


Speaking of things forgotten in the pantry, I came across a box of Betty Crocker Brownie mix. I LOVE to cook with my cast iron wedge pan, so this was the holiday weekend dessert. 


I mixed the batter and after emptying the bowl, I gave it to Gary to finish off. Since he was involved with watching football on TV,  I told him to just call me when he was done. This was his response:



My man knows how to put a smile on my face and a chuckle on my tongue!

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.


    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

 

    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.


Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.


You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.


Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
      
Until next time, grace and peace.






15 comments:

Linda said...

I love Buckee's, smiles. I am so happy to know Gary is doing much better, smiles. Thanks for the smiles, my friend.

Terri D said...

We have a Ford's Garage here in Lakeland and I have been many times. It is always fun and the food is always good!! I enjoyed your post, and look forward to finding a Buckee's to visit one of these days! Hugs to you and your man!! xo

Sandy said...

I would imagine the Ford museum was of interest for anyone. The faucet must have been tired related:) I might have been in there awhile:)
The beach even looks good from that vantage point.

Joyce said...

I have a similar complaint about Bucees. We've only stopped once and I feel like I've seen it/done it. The brisket sandwich was good, but too much for a car lunch. The Ford restaurant sounds like fun. My hubs would also enjoy that kind of place. We've moved a lot as well and love the verses you shared. Have a nice week.

Mari said...

When our son was in the army he was stationed in CO so we spent some time there and saw the Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak and many other beautiful sights.
We stopped at Bucees last year and were overwhelmed! Our DIL said we had to try the banana pudding so we got that and headed back to the car.
Now, the Fords restaurant you went to looks like such a fun place to visit!
Gary is a hoot!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

I've never thought about using my wedge pan for brownies. Great idea! We have a new Bucees being built about 40 miles from us and the community is not one bit excited about it. They are so, so busy and I just don't understand all the hype over it. I guess they just don't want folks eating inside, since they have so many wandering around looking at all the stuff.:0)

Martha Jane Orlando said...

The Ford's restaurant was a new one on me, Barbara. I'll check, but I don't think we have one anywhere near us in Northwest Georgia. What fun that must have been for you car-loving man! By the way, what college game was Gary watching? Here at our house, we were cheering on the Dawgs. :) Blessings!

Barbara said...

The Dawgs!

ellen b. said...

Love the verses, especially the one from Timothy. Contentment is so good. That restaurant looks like a hoot! Buckees are huge in Texas, right?? So one of my guilty pleasures is watching On-Patrol which is a live police documentary happening live in many states and cities. Daytona Beach is featured, a lot. It seems like there is always something happening in Daytona Beach to clog up the streets and keep the local police busy. Looks like a good weekend. Happy September to you.

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the picture of the hot air balloons at dusk/evening! Thank you for sharing the memories, Barbara. I have heard several people talk about Ford's Garage and Buc-ees. We actually passed a Buc-ees on our June trip, but didn't stop. Enjoy your week!

Carol said...

Your photos of Colorado make me want to return, Barbara! We were at a wedding in Estes Park in 2019 and I absolutely fell in love with it. Fortunately, my youngest sister is moving to CO next month so I may have lots of opportunities to explore that beautiful state. My parents used to live right on Daytona Beach in one of those tall condos. Beautiful views, but I found the traffic on the beach quite annoying. A bit too loud for my taste :) Hope you have a wonderful September filled with more good food and fun times with Gary! ♥

Billie Jo said...

Hello! What a refreshing post! You have lived in so many lovely places. I mainly lived in Pennsylvania my whole life until this part-time move to Maryland! And I am happy to see someone else enjoying the Brownie Batter bowl!

Cloudia said...

What a pleasure to spend time with you today in this beautiful post. God bless you

Jennifer said...

Great photo of Gary....love a man who will clean the dishes for you! In whatever way he sees easiest:) Looks like you are making the most of it in that Florida heat! I have some family in Florida and called to ask them if they had been to Ford's (they had not) but it looks like a fun one!! Have a good weekend ahead!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I'm so glad I came back and read this post. I saw it last week on my phone, but never got back to it. I enjoyed all your pictures from the past places and the present too. Re: Bucees, we stopped at one last year on our way up north to Georgia with the kids. To be honest, my experience was not very pleasant. I even wrote about it my blog back then...the place was just TOO Big, TOO Busy, and yes, like you said, no place to sit down and eat inside so we had to eat in the car. There was more to the story, and frankly I really don't think I'd waste my time stopping there again. Some people love it. I'm not a fan. Anyway, I LOVE the picture of Gary with the batter bowl, like a touchdown!! Cute cute cute. We haven't been to a Ford's Garage eating place yet, but I've heard it was fun and if we ever are near one I'd love to try it. Thanks for the heads up about the faucets! LOL. I enjoyed your post so much. Hope you are still having a great week!

How We Do Things

  It's Sunday afternoon as I sit at my desk, composing this blog post. While I often carry my laptop computer to another part of the hou...