Sunday, September 22, 2024

Nostalgia

Facebook photo

Nostalgia

Welcome to fall, or as Pam reminded us at Closed Doors - Open Windowsthis is the Autumnal Equinox. With the changing of the season (although it's not very apparent here in Florida yet), I've been in a wistful frame of mind.

my blog header 2013 - 2017

During my last 4 years of living in Colorado, my blog's title was "The Brown Bungalow" because we lived in a (brand new) Craftsman style house that looked (to me, anyway) like a cute bungalow. 

one of several headers I made for the 
Sweet Tea and Sandals blog

When we relocated to Florida, I changed the blog title to "Sweet Tea and Sandals," which communicated some of the fun changes taking place in my life with the move to a city on the Atlantic coast.

For many years I had a free creative program on my computer that enabled me to design my own headers. I loved being able to do that, but along with a lot of other unanticipated changes in recent years, I lost that feature. The program has since changed a lot and now requires a monetary subscription. I decided to do without it.

the header for the blog when I lost it

Then in late summer of 2023 I unintentionally did something dumb that resulted in the loss of Sweet Tea and Sandals. That terrible circumstance, combined with the changes referred to above, was like a gut punch, and more than I felt like tackling. I opted to start this blog, the one you are reading now, My Journal Memories.

my current blog header

This title does not stir up fanciful mental images of tropical food and footwear, but that's just as well because the themes of my writing have shifted to a more serious motif, acquired with aging and life events.

"Resiliency is the ability to take disappointment 

and conflict and turn it into something better."

Ginny Luther

Walk in My Combat Boots by James Patterson


Southern Living

But with that said, it's been over seven years since I arrived in Florida. I'm still wearing sandals eight or nine months out of the year and I love the way southern restaurants brew up sweet tea.

palm branches

Something I did not anticipate with living in Florida is the amount of landscaping upkeep required of homeowners, palm trees, in particular. To prevent branches from rubbing on roof shingles and leaving stuff in the gutters, Gary regularly uses his pole saw to cut things down.

trimming palm branches for 
the trash truck

Then there are the weeds. They never take a vacation. (smile) Gary was telling me the other day that one of his first favorable impressions of me was that I pull weeds. On one of our first dates, as we were leaving my front door, I stopped to pull up a couple of weeds in the mulch bed. As I stood up, I told him I don't have beautifully manicured hands because I pull weeds all the time. Fortunately for me, he saw the benefit of that quality in deciding if I was "a keeper." (note, I do get professional pedicures regularly to compliment my sandals.)

the pedicure of yours truly

Returning to the subject of autumn in Florida, we kind of have to pretend there is a change in seasons. My friend Sandy (blog: Home Ec Major) who lives in the Panhandle has taught me that although summer clothes are still required for comfort in the autumn and winter months, we can wear the more seasonal colors. For me, that means I switch from wearing white sandals to brown. 😉


Home Decor

We can also switch out some of the home decor, which I'm doing just a little more of this year. Jersey Girl and I had lunch this past week, followed with a little shopping at a resale store. 

"new" table runner

At just $9, this suede table runner was perfect for our dining room. Then on another day I found this pumpkin at Hobby Lobby:

on sale for $7-something

the lil' pumpkin looks good no matter 
where I put it!

Not into Halloween decorating AT ALL, I choose to focus on blessings, thankfulness, gratitude, pumpkins, and the foods of the season.

Food

Cracker Barrel

To segue from autumn decorations into seasonal foods, we bought a small loaf of pumpkin bread at Publix to go with our habit of de-caf coffee and tea in our mid-afternoons. 

Mid-week, we had lunch at Cracker Barrel where the decor lends itself especially well to autumn and winter. Of course, with 90-degree temps right now, there was no flame in the fire place. They do tend to light it up in December, partly for warmth but probably more for the ambience of the Christmas season.

my plate at Cracker Barrel

As I've said before, Gary and I eat a lot of "heat-and-eat," which translates to the fact I've not made a homemade meatloaf in some two years. But Cracker Barrel made up for it, along with the turnip greens, okra, and biscuits. I have, by the way, made biscuits for Gary several times, and they tasted good, but mine don't compare with the flaky tender version we had on that day. Gary had the fried chicken, which was such a large serving that he brought home leftovers that still made for an ample supper for the two of us. Fried chicken. It doesn't get much more "southern" than that!

Bushnell, Florida

Paying Respect

With the slightly cooler weather we're having, we made a trip to the cemetery to visit the gravesites of our late spouses. It's an hour-long drive to get there, so it is our habit to take folding lawn chairs with us and we sit for a while at each of the two graves. But with the searing heat and wilting humidity of summer, our last visit was in late May or early June. 

our car near Edith's headstone

In my growing up years, my family did not live anywhere near the cemeteries of our relatives, so this practice of visiting gravesites on a regular basis has been a learned experience for me since coming together with Gary. But I like it. 

the back of my late husband's headstone

What are we supposed to do when visiting a gravesite? That is a reasonable question.

During the first year, especially, I would just sit and cry. A lot. Then as time passed, I would talk to him, sort of telling him what had transpired, but not expecting (or wanting) any reply from him. Just getting things off my chest, as best I could. I would also thank him for leaving me in such a good place, so to speak. He really did.

Nowadays when Gary and I visit these graves, I reflect on how incredibly blessed I've been since Tom's passing. I thank God again (as I do every single day) for His mercies to protect and provide for me. 

I thank the Lord for forgiving me for my blunders, mistakes, and the (frankly) awkward manner in which I've handled some things during the depths of my sadness. I also thank Him for lessons I've learned about human nature (mine and others) that is imperfect and the need for forgiveness. As somebody said in a recent movie we saw on TV, "grief makes us do things we regret." 

But God forgives and Christ has redeemed the repentant. I hold tight onto that truth. 

a wetland area at the cemetery

Then to bring this line of thought to a close with a bit of a smile, as we were getting out of the car near my late husband's grave, we heard what sounded very much like the grunt of an alligator. Just across the road from our car was this wet area with cattails and pond scum. 

We did not see a gator, but the common warning here in Florida is that any body of water the size of a bathtub or larger has the potential of a gator. We did not poke around to verify that but turned with our lawn chairs in hand and headed for the burial ground. 


autumn color in Minnesota
2022

I close with this thought: Autumn is proof that change can be beautiful. Accepting change is key to surviving whatever adjustments beg to be made. 

Until next time, grace and peace.

Post Script: How to Flip a Photo Horizontally

After my previous blog post, Jennifer from Trading Ashes For Beauty asked how to flip a picture. Of course all I can tell you is how I do it on my MacBook Air laptop computer, using the Photo program that came with it. These instructions will probably vary depending on the equipment you have. If what you have is different, perhaps my instructions here will somehow get you started in figuring out how to do it on your own computer.

Step 1: here is a selfie of me holding up my iPhone. Note that the word "Broncos" is backwards. I want to flip the picture horizontally so "Broncos" is not backwards.



Step 2: however you normally do it, get the picture into your photo program. Then look for the word "edit." Mine is in the top right hand corner of my screen. Click on "edit."


Step 3: Near the top of my screen, in the center, is the word, "crop." Click on that.


Step 4: Now go back to the right side of the screen to find the word, "flip." Click on that.


Step 5: When you have done that, your snapshot will flip so that "Broncos" reads correctly.


Voila! I hope this is of some help!





3 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Not only am I impressed with your ability to "flip" your photo, but also that you have a "Broncos" logo on your phone! That was not something I would have expected of you, even though I know you lived in Colorado for a while! LOL. That just tickled me. Also, that you said on my blog post something about knowing that it is the Autumnal Equinox (thank you for the shout-out, btw), because you have NFL football on tv on Sunday afternoon! Yep! That's a sure thing here too, along with college football on Saturday, and whenever or whatever other day there is football, it will be on. Then hubby informed me that hockey season is starting up now too, so I know it is time for me to get back to the library and find some good books to read. That is when I do my best reading, during football/hockey season! LOL. I enjoyed your post so much. I didn't know you when you had the "Little Brown Bungalo" blog header, but I have been with you during your years in Florida and during the "Sweet Tea and Sandals" era and now into your "My Journal Memories" stage of life. I am not sure how we actually "met" here in blogland, but I am thankful that we have literally met in person and I consider that a real joy to know you as a friend. I also love that you really aren't all that far away and we can get together occasionally as desired. So here I am being nostalgic with you...I've been along on your journey over the past several years, and my heart has gone out to you and wept with you, and now I am rejoicing with you. So thankful that God brought us together! I hope you and Gary have a blessed and beautiful week ahead. Enjoy these little bit of cooler fallish days. It's a real blessing!! Bye for now.

Sandy said...

I do indeed have a fall change up in clothes that are basically still summery. I wore my brown striped tee this week, an orange popover style shirt as well. I have an olive green sleeveless shirt and a fall colored sleeveless knit dress on t deck for this week. Still hot and not looking like it will change right away:) We ate at Cracker Barrel last week too. Great minds think alike.

Terri D said...

I always enjoy catching up with you here, Barbara!! One of these days we need to catch up in person again!! My phone allows me to change a setting so the photo will be flipped when I take the picture. I'll have to check my photo program to see if it allows it there, too. Interesting! Have a blessed week!

Nostalgia

Facebook photo Nostalgia Welcome to fall, or as Pam reminded us at Closed Doors - Open Windows ,  this is the Autumnal Equinox. With the cha...