![]() |
| designed by author with Chatgpt |
Today's post is lengthy and may come across as disjointed as I try to wrap my thoughts around this past week. For my part, recent days have been mostly calm.
I said, "mostly calm" because there were a couple of days where prayer for family was increased. The newest member of our large, blended family had to spend an unexpected 2 nights in the hospital. Tests were run that produced good results, so we are thankful to the Lord for bringing everybody through that, whatever it was.
On the world stage, it's been nothing but full of commotion.
I don't generally write about politics. Today will be no different but we all know that here in the USA there's been a disturbing parade of events, revelations, proclamations, and whatever else can describe it.
I'm going to unabashedly put in an unsolicited plug for Samaritan's Purse as my favorite relief agency for disasters. Here on our side of the world, we pray for the situation in Nepal, and if we feel led to do so, we can help in a very practical way with donations.
![]() |
| contact Samaritan's Purse by clicking here |
Beyond natural disasters, I have become aware of an unusual number of deaths in families of my friends, neighbors, and of course in the media. While I won't list any names of the deceased, I have something to say about that.
You might say I followed a rabbit trail by asking, "Is it wrong to speak ill of the dead?" Here are some thoughts I found (courtesy of Wikipedia, AI, and other sources):
- "De mortuis niul nisi bonum" is Latin for "Of the dead, say nothing but good."
- You should not criticize someone who has passed away because they can no longer defend themselves.
- speaking badly of the deceased can deeply hurt those who are mourning.
But then there is this, a more modern thought:
- strict politeness can protect abusers or toxic people
- not speaking of a person's bad actions prevents learning the whole truth about a person's impact on the world.
- those who have survived bad relationships with the dead often need to speak honestly so they can proceed with healing.
Conclusions on this topic:
Harsh gossip and small-minded insults serve little good. Factual truths about historical harm or public wrongdoing is generally considered acceptable.
In pondering all of that, I find a certain amount of solace in my happy places, of which I have at least 3 right here in my house -- and this is the one I am sitting in now:
Ahhh.... the lanai. I think I mention it ALMOST as often as I type out my dear husband's name (both give me a lot of comfort and satisfaction). Gary tends to sit in the chair to the right of mine (not pictured) while I have begun to tuck myself into this corner where I can see much of whatever is going on (since the glass slider beside the chair is never opened but allows me to see into the rest of the house, clear to the front door).
The lanai is not air conditioned (or heated, for that matter), so we depend on the ceiling fan and also a portable tower fan to make the temperature bearable in this Florida summer (and a space heater in the depths of winter, which right now sounds a long time off, and it is).
When adversity strikes, in any form, we do well to spend a little time sorting out what's really happening, praying about how we can learn from it and how to adapt, and then move on. The Lord always has something helpful/beneficial for us to learn in all of our adversities.
..... we rejoice in our sufferings,
knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character,
and character produces hope,
and hope does not put us to shame,
because God's love has been poured into our hearts
through the Holy Spirit
who has been given to us.
Romans 5:3-5 ESV
Since my previous snapshot (above) from the lanai, Gary announced that, even with all the lanai windows open and 2 fans blowing on us, it was just too hot to stay out there. So now we have moved inside and I'm sitting in another of my happy places:
My place is on the right, with the small pillow (Mary Engelbreit's "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things"), which I place at the small of my back and then often fall asleep! 🤭 (but not this time since I'm busy visiting with YOU!)
My other "happy place" is my desk in the sitting room. This is where I journal, blog, check the banks, correspond, and keep the calendar updated. Gary has his office on the other side of the house and this is my space. I go to this place every day, immediately after breakfast, to remind myself of who I am, where I'm headed, and to make plans to proceed. It's my Quiet Time with the Lord. On the exceedingly rare occasions when I can't do this, it's like I've run out into public in my pajamas without my glasses, unprepared to face [whatever].
Moving on..... have you done anything with Chatgpt? That's a real question. Feel free to share your experiences with it in the comments at the end of this post.
I've done several things with it of late, always doing my best to be wise and careful to not reveal more about myself than what is already "out there," but to also take beneficial (and ENJOYABLE!!!) advantage of this new creative tool. Note: everything I've done has been completely free, which is an option they make readily known; but if a person wants to pay for more advantages, that is available, too. Thus far, my needs have not found it necessary to pay for anything.
![]() |
| my Chatgpt creation on August 29, 2026 of a peaceful beach picnic |
My most recent creation with Chagpt is the above water color picture. I can't give you a blow-by-blow explanation of how I did this -- just Google Chatgpt and poke around for yourself. I told it what I wanted, and in just a few short minutes, this is what it presented to me.
When it asked me what I wanted, this is exactly what I typed in:
water color ocean beach crashing waves sand sea oats blue sky croissant sandwich on blue and white gingham napkin glass sweet tea
Here are more of my snapshots (NOT from Chatgpt) of good things from this past week:
Gary does the majority of the cooking. He had to be the Chef In Charge for quite some time before I came along, so when we married, after my lifetime of cooking, I acquiesced and let him continue. He says he would like for me to take over the kitchen, but he has not relinquished total authority in there yet (smile) and Ihave come to accept love the way he spoils me! 🥰
However, when I do take a turn in the kitchen, there are often surprises in store for Gary. We don't do things the same, and I sometimes pull out the unfamiliar. Today was an example of that. In preparing one of my favorites, quesadillas, I served them on my dog plates.
Prepared with two large flour tortillas, browned ground beef cooked with diced onion, and then "glued together" with shredded cheese and toasted on both sides in my electric skillet, four wedges for each of us was just the right amount. I heard no complaints and was even told it was good. (I know. It's a 'can't fail' type of concoction!)
Last weekend we attended a concert with opera-type voices and classy costumes. But even with that said, most of the attendees were wearing what Gary calls, "Florida casual" (shorts, capris, sandals, and for some, glittery jewelry). I've come to accept that is just the way it is here. I don't dress up like I used to, but I did wear a fancier top and my dressier jewelry with black capri pants.
Also last weekend we watched much of the car race through the middle of Washington DC. While the race itself was interesting, I especially enjoyed the drone and/or helicopter views of the city. Both Gary and I lived in the surrounding suburbs of DC many years ago (a looong time before we met down here in Florida) so re-visiting that fascinating place during the race was pleasant.
When we're not watching races, attending concerts, riding our bikes, doing yard work, cleaning the house, paying bills, and cooking in the kitchen, working our jigsaw puzzles has become a daily thing with both of us. The above snapshot is the library in our community center where we borrow the puzzles. I bring home 3 at a time, which takes about a week for us (as a joint effort) to complete before returning them for more.
I usually bring home puzzles with 500 to 750 pieces, although our current project is 1,000. It's pretty challenging, too. Gary has already said, "This one's going to take a while." I choose puzzles with bright, cheerful colors and distinctive images. Those with huge forests of trees with indistinct branches and leaves and dark, murky lakes are depressing to assemble.
This has been a long post, but it's been over a week since my last writing and a lot has gone on in that length of time. However, I'll start heading for the finish line with a snapshot I took with my phone this morning at our first of two water stops during our usual bike ride.
![]() |
| Gary's World Famous Chili Throw-Together: Fritos, canned no-bean chili, sliced weiners, diced onion, shredded cheese and sour cream |
Gary does the majority of the cooking. He had to be the Chef In Charge for quite some time before I came along, so when we married, after my lifetime of cooking, I acquiesced and let him continue. He says he would like for me to take over the kitchen, but he has not relinquished total authority in there yet (smile) and I
| my dog plates |
However, when I do take a turn in the kitchen, there are often surprises in store for Gary. We don't do things the same, and I sometimes pull out the unfamiliar. Today was an example of that. In preparing one of my favorites, quesadillas, I served them on my dog plates.
![]() |
| beef -onion-cheese quesadillas with Ranch dressing |
Prepared with two large flour tortillas, browned ground beef cooked with diced onion, and then "glued together" with shredded cheese and toasted on both sides in my electric skillet, four wedges for each of us was just the right amount. I heard no complaints and was even told it was good. (I know. It's a 'can't fail' type of concoction!)
![]() |
| an opera voice in a gorgeous gown |
Last weekend we attended a concert with opera-type voices and classy costumes. But even with that said, most of the attendees were wearing what Gary calls, "Florida casual" (shorts, capris, sandals, and for some, glittery jewelry). I've come to accept that is just the way it is here. I don't dress up like I used to, but I did wear a fancier top and my dressier jewelry with black capri pants.
![]() |
| the National Anthem at the Freedom Grand Prix of Washington DC |
Also last weekend we watched much of the car race through the middle of Washington DC. While the race itself was interesting, I especially enjoyed the drone and/or helicopter views of the city. Both Gary and I lived in the surrounding suburbs of DC many years ago (a looong time before we met down here in Florida) so re-visiting that fascinating place during the race was pleasant.
| the puzzle library |
When we're not watching races, attending concerts, riding our bikes, doing yard work, cleaning the house, paying bills, and cooking in the kitchen, working our jigsaw puzzles has become a daily thing with both of us. The above snapshot is the library in our community center where we borrow the puzzles. I bring home 3 at a time, which takes about a week for us (as a joint effort) to complete before returning them for more.
![]() |
| a recent completion |
I usually bring home puzzles with 500 to 750 pieces, although our current project is 1,000. It's pretty challenging, too. Gary has already said, "This one's going to take a while." I choose puzzles with bright, cheerful colors and distinctive images. Those with huge forests of trees with indistinct branches and leaves and dark, murky lakes are depressing to assemble.
| water break this morning; I'm on the right; Gary's on the left |
This has been a long post, but it's been over a week since my last writing and a lot has gone on in that length of time. However, I'll start heading for the finish line with a snapshot I took with my phone this morning at our first of two water stops during our usual bike ride.
One day this past week I drove the route of our Monday-Saturday rides in our truck, making note of the dashboard, to find out just how far we are riding. It was a little farther than I expected! 5.6 miles! (I need to measure the different route we take on Sundays. It surely is about the same.)
Let me assure you, we are NOT the fast racer-type bicyclists who are bent forward over their handlebars on the shoulders of high-traffic roads. A good portion of our rides are on wide, often heavily-shaded asphalt multi-purpose paths here inside the gate of our +55 retirement community. When those paths are not convenient, we are on quiet residential streets.
But even with that idyllic description, I am not exaggerating when I say I pray EVERY DAY, for our safety, as we ride our bikes, and for good reason!!! Even within a retirement community, there are a shocking number of drivers who speed, ignore stop signs and display other signs of rudeness. Our "guardian angels" know to keep a close watch on us!
Here is an item I bought from Hobby Lobby after my first husband passed. I keep it on a window sill where I see it many times every day. May it's message minister to you as it has to me.
Until next time, grace and peace,
Barbara
P.S. If you feel so inclined, leave a comment about experiences you've had with Chatgpt. We learn from each other!










2 comments:
I love ChatGPT and I have been using it to help illustrate my blogs, too!! I continue using the free version, but keep thinking about what more might be available for a paid subscription. It is lots of fun, for sure!! I enjoyed your post, Barbara, and am always happy to catch up with you here!! Happy weekend! xo
It was good to catch up with you. I appreciated your thoughts on what people say of those who have passed. Also, Samaritans Purse is such a good ministry, and Nepal certainly needs lots of help right now. It is just tragic.
I've only used Chat GPT a little, I should use it more! When I used it, I took pictures of my grands and asked it to make them into Peter Rabbit style photos and they turned out so cute. Thanks for the reminder about it.
Post a Comment