. . . . . Nothing Borrowed But Plenty of Blue!
We were sitting out on the lanai last week when I noticed a pensive expression on Gary's face. From time to time I will ask him, "What's going on between your ears?"
I told Gary that the new coffee table, which is significantly bigger than the wicker one, was big enough that we could sit on cushions on the floor to eat off of it, like the Asians. But then there would be the matter of getting our aged bodies up off of the floor (as in, "Help! I can't get up!!"), so I think we won't be doing that.
We are happy with the new look and spent the rest of the morning putting everything in place. With that entire wall of glass sliders between the lanai and the living room/kitchen nook, we can easily see it all.
Recently Debbie, at Millie's Cozy Life, posted her picture of some scones she had made. I made a mental note to bake some, too. I always enjoy baking with my cast iron wedge pan. Cornbread, scones, brownies.
I did goof up this time. I guess I misread labels with my trifocals. I mixed up baking soda with baking powder and used too much buttermilk. I could do nothing about the dry mistakes, but I did my best to amend the excess of liquid by adding a lot more flour.
Aside from not tasting as sweet as usual, it all came out just fine. Whew! We sliced them in half horizontally to slather on margarine and strawberry jam. Sooo good (if I do say so myself!).
One more fun thing to share: on yesterday's bike ride this Sand Hill Crane* was on alert for his breakfast from atop a neighbor's roof.
This house backs up to a lake that is a block away from our house. I had left Gary at home that day to do some yard work, so on this particular route I rode just under 4 miles, which had me pedaling by this house several times. The crane was there every time I passed. On my last pass he lifted up his wings and made a dive down toward the water. Houses obstructed my view, so I could not see if he was able to grab a bite or not.
Florida is such an interesting place in which to live! I've quoted Jeremiah 33:3 many times on this blog:
Call unto me
and I will answer thee
and show you great and mighty things
which thou knowest not.
(That's me quoting the King James version from memory, so I may have messed up with the "thees" and "thous", but you get it.)
My family had a pastor when I was a little girl who quoted this verse a lot, so it made a deep impression on me. I include it in this post because once again, I am in awe of how God answers prayers with responses we may never have even remotely considered. At least, that's true in my life.
The beauty of creation He has allowed me to enjoy through the many places where I've lived are just amazing. That Sand Hill Crane is one of many examples.
Okay. I'm done for today. Thanks for stopping by! Until next time, grace and peace.
Barbara




21 comments:
Oh, I love your new furniture. It is perfect for the space and you'll enjoy it for years to come. (that may be a Great Blue Heron Barbara. A Sandhill Crane would probably have a longer neck but I could be wrong....I am still learning the Florida birds too) Enjoy your afternoon. Did you save a scone for me? I'll be right over! Hugs from across the way, Diane
Your new furniture is perfect for the space, and it looks quite comfortable! I know you spend a lot of time on your lanai, so kudos on the excellent choice!! Sandhill Cranes are so magnificent to watch. Amazing birds, Amazing God! Peace and hugs!! xo
The new furniture looks really nice and it looks comfortable too. I think there will be a lot of enjoyable time spent there, and someone will be blessed with what you donated.
I love the crane photo too. I think they are quite majestic.
That's a great verse to share.
You are right! I will correct this right now. Thanks for helping me with this!
I love the new furniture for your lanai. But then, I am quite fond of blue. It looks mighty comfortable and I hope you both get much enjoyment from it.
Your new furniture looks fantastic and the scones look great even with the little mess up.
I love your new blue lanai furniture! I know you will enjoy it for many years to come. And I hope some family will be blessed with the lovely set you donated. Your scones looks delicious, and I'm sure the mistake didn't harm the flavor at all, especially since you compensated for it immediately (before putting in the oven!) I've been know to realize my mistake a minute AFTER putting something in the oven, and boy, that can be a challenge to correct! LOL. And yes, Diane is correct about the Great Blue Heron. I was going to mention it privately, but I'm glad she got to you first! They are easy to confuse, especially when the Great Blue Heron stretches out his long neck as well! They are very similar in their profile at that point, and from a distance it can be difficult to determine what's what and who's who! Either way, it's such fun to see these big birds nearby. Since our pond is dry we don't get to see them as often as before and I do miss them. Enjoy your new porch furniture and try to stay cool!!!
I absolutely love your new furniture for your lanai, Barbara! Of course, blue is one of my favorite colors, so I might be a bit biased. How wonderful, too, that the Humane Society could pick up the old items so promptly, too. Gary and you have such good taste! Blessings!
You know that old set is cute and somebody will grab it quickly, BUT that new set is just perfect. Looks very comfy and for sitting on a Florida sunroom it will be so nice. Great choice. I also always love blue.
You got a great photo of that beautiful bird! It's not often they perch on the rooftop like that. We are blessed with such a big variety of birds here in Florida that it's fun to have a neat sighting like this! I got my courtyard painted today! I need new furniture now! Hugs!
how great is this!!! You got new outdoor furniture and didn't have to suggest it.. it's nice when the man of the house notices that something needs to be changed. What you selected is very pretty and looks very comfy. I love scones and have made them a few times.. my issue is that there is a bakery about 2 blocks from us and they make the best scones. I suppose this is a big win for me. the weekend is almost here and I hope you all have a relaxing couple of days
Siempre es bueno los cambios. Lindos muebles. Te mando un beso y ten un buen fin de semana.
Barbara, I loved this whole story — from Gary’s thoughtful moment on the lanai to the whirlwind of measuring, donating, rearranging, and welcoming the new furniture. The fresh pieces look wonderful, and I had to smile at your comment about eating at the coffee table “like the Asians” … followed immediately by the reality of getting back up again. Your scone adventure made me laugh, too — trifocals can be mischievous, but you certainly redeemed the recipe. And that Great Blue Heron sighting was such a treat; Florida wildlife never disappoints. Your reflections on answered prayer and the beauty of creation were especially touching. A lovely post from start to finish. Grace and peace to you as well.
I do like your new set and it does look comfortable. Glad the scones were delightfully edible. What a treat to spot that heron. God has given us so many things to enjoy. Blessings on your weekend!
Translation provided by Barbara: "Change is always good. Nice furniture. Sending you a kiss, and have a great weekend!"
I like your new furniture. Enjoy.
Thank you for the Bible quote at the end. God bless you all always.
Hello, your new furniture looks nice and comfortable. Like it. I am sure you spend a lot of time there.
Enjoy it!
Greetings from far
Bom dia, Bárbara
Passando por aqui para conhecer o seu blog e gostei muito! Lindos móveis e um versículo muito edificante. Um forte abraço.
Oooh--I LOVE your new furniture, Barbara! The color is lovely and it does look extremely comfortable. You're inspiring me to look into updating my old wicker furniture that's on my front porch :) You little enabler you!!
Your new furniture looks really nice and comfortable!
We have a heron who likes to perch on our dock roof. They're so pretty! I love the new furniture!!
Post a Comment