Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hurricane Homily


Internet art

Originally the plan was to update my readers on our safety from Hurricane Idalia with my next post this weekend. But out of consideration for those who expressed concern and requested an update after the storm had passed, here it is.

In spite of dire forecasts, we are safe in the middle of Florida's peninsula with hardly any evidence in our community that anything wild was going on. While those positioned much closer to both coasts had much to warrant worry, we were blessed with no problems at all. There are a few twigs (not branches) from the trees lightly littering our street. We got a fair amount of rain but I haven't seen the total of that yet.

When we woke this morning, the TV was turned on to learn the status of Idalia. At that time she had grown to a category 4 hurricane and was very close to landfall at a Gulf Coast beach about a two-hour drive northwest of us. 

In the hours since then, the storm surge combined with normally-occurring high tide and our current full moon have resulted in terrible flooding at the landfall location and nearby coastal communities. 

We are humbly grateful all turned out well for us and pray for those who have been adversely affected. There is a stark contrast between wet pavement littered with a few leafy twigs and buildings submerged to the windowsills in warm hurricane water. 

pier

Romantic daydreams from my past of owning a quaint beach cottage have vanished with today's storm surge. For me, practicality overrides fantasy. It's the safer way to live.

Also, there is this from the Bible's New Testament: "... be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it." Matthew 7:24-26

I do not mean to judge those who live and work in coastal communities; but we do well to build our lives on wisdom. I, like everyone I know, have sometimes built on sand. May we learn helpful lessons from our experiences.

Until next time, grace and peace.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved to to hear you and your area are fine. I am so ignorant of Hurricanes, so every time I hear about one approaching, I get concerned. Building our lives on wisdom is the way to go. Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are alright, Barbara. I ventured out in the yard and saw tree limbs etc.. But all in all, we too fared well. As for the beach living, I still plan on retiring at Cedar Key regardless of the issues, LOLOL. (my husband said a definite NO!)LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to know that the storm didn't adversely affect you, Barbara! Thanks for taking the time to let us all know so promptly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful to hear y'all are alright! Thank you for the quick update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very thankful you fared well in this storm, as did we. We are very very thankful to God for His mercy and kindness. And yes, I told John today that I don't ever want to live on a coast or by a river. A pond is fine, and maybe a nice lake that doesn't overflow its shore, but I will just visit the beach when I want to and stay here on solid ground. (even though most of Florida is really built on the sand...but still, I know what you mean.) Praying for those who lost their homes and businesses in this storm, and I pray there was no loss of life. I haven't heard of any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so thankful to hear you are ok! I appreciate your thoughts on building on sand. It applies to all of us, regardless of where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are thankful to have weathered the storm without any damage too. I'm keeping those on the coast and north of us in my prayers. Looks like another beautiful day today! Stay safe and enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prayed for y’all!!!…. and I do love the coast. My experience is no matter where you live you will face something. Where you are is prime territory for tornadoes if the hurricane hits the right spot. Ask me how I know. Frederick 1979 is just ONE example. I know we know WHO holds our hand though. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Anniversary Celebration on Jekyll Island

Our two-year anniversary celebration took us to Jekyll Island this week. Here is my album of memories. cover of free visitor guide If you do...