Today I'm featuring Joyce's questions on the Hodgepodge for Sept. 16: if you would like to link up with your blog, click on the link below.
http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com/2026/09/hodgepodge-questions-volume-671.html
1. How do you define beauty?
![]() |
| framed artwork in our home |
I define beauty as calm with a respectful reverence that encourages peace and kindness with cheerful colors ranging from bright to subtle. This description can apply to people, landscapes, home design, art galleries and probably everything else.
![]() |
| framed artwork in our home |
Truly, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," because not everything I consider to be beautiful is acceptable to others, and vice-versa.
Speaking of cheerful colors, our puzzle (assembled on the glass table top) is FINALLY coming together. (LOTS of beach umbrellas)
2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World)
I've never taken an overnight trip by train although I think it would be nice to experience. I'd want my own place to sleep in privacy (as opposed to sitting in the same chair/recliner for the entire trip) and I would want to dine on train food (whatever that is) while watching mountain scenery or water views.
3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or how it relates to your life in some way currently.
I'll go with "in a nutshell." I prefer brief, well-worded responses over long explanations.
4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite food on the list that comes in/with a shell?
![]() |
| Tacos for lunch on Labor Day weekend |
Tacos. You can put anything inside the shell, which makes tacos a good way to use up refrigerator leftovers. I prefer soft flour tortillas over the crunchy corn tortilla shells; but if somebody else is doing the cooking, I'll take a taco any way they want to prepare it.
5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate.
Both Gary and I have said we didn't think we would get this old! The cards we give and receive are really special.
We like cake and ice cream and do something to make the day special. Sometimes that's a trip out of town, out of state, or just to a favorite local restaurant.
For Gary's first birthday after we got married, we were visiting Sister and her hubby on a road trip. She baked his favorite, German Chocolate, in the form of cupcakes, for us to take with us in the car. That was so nice.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Here is a thought-provoking statement that I have found to be true:
Until next time, grace and peace.
Barbara






13 comments:
Barbara, I can't begin to tell you how that meme spoke deeply to me today. I truly needed this encouragement and reassurance. No, Danny and I never thought we'd be this old, either - LOL! I love what you said about beauty, too. Have a blessed week!
Your #6 is profound and makes good sense. Each birthday is special and worthy of celebration! I am now the oldest member of my family, and Joe's. I'm a matriarch... good grief!! I am older than my parents were when they passed. Each year is precious!! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge, Barbara!! xo
I really enjoyed your answers to this one. I liked what you said about beauty and I think your finished puzzle is beautiful. The getting older thing is still shocking to me - how did I get this old? Bob and I were out for a walk last evening, we live on a country road and came to the realization that we have lived here longer than anyone else on the whole road. Good grief, we are the old people on the street!
That meme is so good and so very thought provoking.
Dear Barbara, I enjoyed reading your responses, dear friend!!! And I love all your photos, too! Thank you so much for focusing on pleasant topics! God bless you! I really appreciate you.
Good Morning! So nice to see your smiling face this morning! I am having my morning cup of tea and enjoying reading our friends' posts. I love seeing that you and Gary have persevered on completing (almost!) that umbrella puzzle! You both must have a lot of patience to do those! I think it's more fun when you work them together like that. Four pairs of eyes are better than just two! And yes, beauty can be so many things, when we look for it with eyes to appreciate the beauty, we find it in places we may not have expected! And birthdays! I have one coming up soon, and I am totally surprised that I am at the age where I remember my mother being, and me thinking she was beginning to show "signs" of getting older that I was concerned about...yet she lived another 15 years or so after that and kept going fairly strong for most of them. We do have some kind of celebration, whether big or small, we do something to acknowledge our birthdays and make it special. I love the idea of your sister making those special cupcakes for Gary and you since you were traveling. That was so thoughtful. I also love the picture seeing Gary's very appreciative smile, and that lovely Hoosier cabinet behind him! At first I thought it must be at your house, until I read the story and realized it must be at your sister's house. I like that she made a coffee bar out of it. Nicely done! I enjoyed your whole post, including the message at the end. Thank you! This was a lovely way to start my morning right! Have a blessed day.
Well done with those beach umbrellas!! German chocolate cupcakes...yum. Submitting in trust to God is a lifelong lesson and those stand still moments are important. Have a beautiful day!
I love your definition of beauty and I do like the idea of travelling by train overnight and having a fancy meal while watching the scenery.
I always say I am not a big fan of tacos but when I see a photo of them I always want them!
That first picture is very beautiful! I took a train trip once when I was young but I barely remember anything about it! I love that last quote. Something to remember.
I really enjoyed coming across, and reading, your blog this morning! Happy Hodge Podge..and Thursday to you!!
Your definition of beauty really makes me think, Barbara. I don't have a definition, but I feel a little challenged to go forward and try to explain (if only to myself) WHY something strikes me as beautiful. This seems a particularly productive thing to do when finding beauty in not so obviously beautiful things.
German chocolate is one of my favorites too, but I don't think I've ever had it in cupcake form. The puzzle is so pretty! I love your random thought. We want justice and we want it now and sometimes staying silent and letting God work in ways we cannot see is hard. Hope you have a wonderful week!
I always enjoy reading your Hodge Podge answers, Barbara! My only train trip was memorable, but not for the right reasons. We spent a year in the northern suburbs of DC back in the late 80s. I was pregnant with my youngest son and we all decided to take a train from DC to Southport CT to visit my husband's brother's family. I was so exhausted (as one is in early pregnancy) and accidentally left my very expensive camera on the train. Oh, I was so upset! Of course no one turned it in... Love both tacos and pistachios :) And German Chocolate Cake :) Hope you have a wonderful autumn season in FL!
Hello, my friend! This is a lovely post, filled with happiness. I am really focused on those German Chocolate Cupcakes, though!!!!! Happy fall!
Post a Comment