The Lord is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Looking Back


 We are told to not look back too much lest we get into the weeds of painful memories that tend to morph into bitter regrets. But a little backward glance, especially over the very latest of our days, usually doesn't hurt.... 


We have dined at Crumps Landing along the Homosassa River several times over the last couple of years. When we had our floors replaced, the salesman told us it was a favorite with his family and now we heartily agree.  

I ❤️❤️❤️ eating on the water. It's absolutely one of my favorite things about living in Florida.


All of the dining is outdoors and most of the [many] tables are under umbrellas, awnings, or this very large tiki roof. There are fans in some areas. Beside the water there might be a breeze.


The stretch of river where the restaurant sits is a "no wake zone" for the boats, so aside from background music, there are no obnoxious noises to contend with as we dine. It's about an hour's drive from our home. We arrived at 11am, when they open, and before it could get crowded.


After placing our order, I took this selfie of the two of us, but then Gary said I should take one with the water behind us, so here's that:


Either way, we look like incognito movie stars!! (ha-ha!)


Gary ordered a burger, and I got the steak tacos.


Crumps' food does not disappoint!

As for other recent memories made, the annual rainy season has FINALLY moved into our part of town. We tend to get a really hard downpour about once a day (late afternoon or in the evening) with about one inch registering in our rain gauge. It is helping with the extreme draught conditions we've had for many months (hard as that is to believe for Florida).


In addition to the rain, nature has also provided us with some visitors. These are 2 baby Doves nested in one of our palm trees. 


A raccoon visited us one morning while we were sitting on our back patio. As interesting as that was, there is concern that it may have been diseased. Raccoons are nocturnal animals. When they're prowling around at 10am in broad daylight, they may be sick. We left it alone and it eventually wandered off.

Our current jigsaw puzzle is a doozie (i.e. very hard!). I broke my own promise to myself when I brought this one home from the library. It has 1,000 pieces (500 - 750 pieces is my personal preference). This puzzle has many colorful beach umbrellas that I thought would make this a quick-assemble, but NO! 

It may (or may not) help that we work our puzzles on a glass-topped table. 🤭 But that fact does make for an interesting snapshot, don't you think?!


In the kitchen, one day I got it into my head to try out a recipe for tomato pie. However, when I saw the effort and time that's necessary to chop and drain the juices out of the tomatoes, I opted instead to make my bacon quiche in a ready-made crust and serve sliced tomatoes on the side. There were no complaints from my dinner partner! 😋

To conclude this post that began with "Looking Back," it is no secret there are many things in our past that do not make for pleasant memories. I cannot overlook these two events:

But oddly enough, right in the midst of our unhappy memories, there are good things, too. One of my eleven grandchildren was born on 9/11.

An undeniable fact of life is that we face potholes and pop quizzes [nearly] every day. While I wish that were not true, for those of us who are true Christians, there is blessing in adversity. We tend to learn better through the challenges. In troubles God is trying to get our attention so we can learn, be strengthened, and benefit in helpful ways. 

And we know that in all things 
God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 NIV

Thanks for stopping by! Until next time, grace and peace.
Barbara

11 comments:

Mari said...

It looks like a lovely place to eat and enjoy a beautiful view. I think looking back is good - we can learn a lot, right? But we still have to focus on looking forward.
Yes, remembering Charlie Kirk and 9/11 - both such sad memories.

Anonymous said...

I recently read an inspiring story on the 9/11 events which is being created as a play. It’s about a small town in Newfoundland where several planes had to land when all US flights were grounded .

The Day the World Came to Town
9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
by Jim DeFede

And I recommend a YouTube channel called CaptainSteeeve (not a typo). He was supposed to be on the first flight that hit the World Trade Center but someone else had called and requested that flight instead. Pilot, preacher and military man at the time.
https://youtu.be/8T1kNOxt7_Q?is=3X_ulTceyOamFxam

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, plenty of bad memories when we look back. Perhaps we should pray some more.
God bless.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love Romans 8 and I enjoyed your post. So many of our memories are bittersweet or in fact...either sad or happy. I had a deep sadness at this time last year and I can't help but reflect on that. But John is coming in a few days so I am happy about that! I'll look up that restaurant on the river. Sounds wonderful. I love the photo of you with the big smile of course! Hugs from across the way, Diane PS I hear thunder!

ellen b. said...

Love the selfies, well done! Hooray for the rain. Yikes that puzzle does look hard. One of the ones I started lately I abandoned and threw away it was such a monster! It is always good to look at our memories in light of God's providence on our lives. Keep enjoying those restaurants on the water!

Terri D said...

I enjoy a water view for lunch, as well, and look forward to lunch with my grands down in Punta Gorda next Saturday!! Great photos, Barbara, and I can see that you both might be mistaken for incognito movie stars!! Wishing you a great weekend and week ahead! xo

Modrina Neba said...

Happy that I found your blog, Barbara, I added you among my friends, only the translations, I miss them :))
Rainy greetings from my Slovenia, Andreja!

Sandy said...

I knew yesterday would be a hard day looking back and seeing how a young man was killed and seeing the evil that has been unleashed and then following that with September 11. We do have to look back to remember how God sustains us too. Living each day is good too …eating on the water and making a comforting recipe and watching birds go about their lives are all good things to focus on. Always love seeing you out and about.

Jeanette said...

I would love to eat at that restaurant! September is a sad month for our family as we lost both my mom and dad in September. Plus that horrible day in 2001 and then last year the assassination of Charlie Kirk. On the bright side God blessed us with our Levi in September of 2018 so that redeemed the month for us!

Kim Carberry said...

What a beautiful location to eat and the food looks so good too! That puzzle does indeed look like a doozie!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

You know I love the water view too. Someday you need to come and we'll go to Corky Bell's on the St. John's River...just have to be there at 11 a.m. too, or it's too crowded. I loved your selfies, and yes, you DO look like a movie star! Have you ever been told that you are a Betty White look alike? I can see you two as being twins, really! Everytime I see Betty White now I think of you. LOL. True! I loved your post in every way. I don't think I could do jigsaw puzzles on a clear glass table, however. That would see to be more difficult for me. I need a white or plain background so I can see the pieces better. But I know you two love a challenge! I do hope the raccoon was okay. Our neighbor had a sick on in their back yard this past week, and it finally just died. They called wildlife dept., etc., but no one would ever come, and they tried to feed it, but it wasn't interested. Sad, but these things do happen. Thankfully they don't think it was rabid, just old. Thank you for your lovely post as always. People's posts still aren't loading on my feed, so I don't know what's going on. I just have to go looking for the new posts. I hope they fix it soon.

Lamentations 3:22-23 (again!)

  Yes, I've posted this before (from a different artist). Some things are worth repeating!