Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Escaping August

Our hostess for Hodgepodge questions Volume 566 helps us neatly tie up this month so we can move on to September. Always cleverly-phrased, tempting us to dig up the deep stuff in our thoughts, Joyce has given us the following questions:


1. What is one cliche [or phrase] you think is nonsense? What's one you think holds truth? 


“With that said …” is a phrase [not a cliche] I use often in my writing and every time I do, I think I should be more creative. With that said, ๐Ÿ™„, I’ll move on to the next question.


2. What's the last thing you broke and how did it happen? 


.I can’t think of anything in particular right now except that I have broken a promise to myself that I would not eat too much ice cream.๐Ÿ˜‹


3. Are you a fan of s'mores? Have you had a s'more this summer? Last thing you ate that you wanted to ask for 's'more of'


.I love S’mores but haven’t had one in years.


Since much of what we eat here at home is single servings of “heat-and-eat” from the freezer case, we seldom have leftovers for ’s’more. ๐Ÿ˜ That’s just as well. 



But since the subject of S’mores has come up, I’ll repeat what I said in a recent post. A mug of hot chocolate with 3 of those really large jet-puffed marshmallows stuffed on top is super-good!


4. A mode of transportation you've never tried? Will you someday? 


photo source

. Hang gliding, nope, not if I'm in my right mind!!!! 


5. Believe it or not, next week's Hodgepodge lands in a brand new month. What's your happiest memory from the month we're bidding adieu? 


.August 2024 has had some somber issues come up, so "happiest" is a word that falls short this time. However, “satisfaction” is probably a better word because worrisome things are getting addressed and I’m thankful for that.


Also, the worst of our intense hot, humid summer is probably behind us -- that is a reason to be genuinely happy.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 


.After responding to question #5, I'll become more upbeat by illustrating a few of my favorite things:


my husband at his desk, proofreading my blog


our new couches and area rug


my return to a former hairstyle that is 
much more "bicycle helmet friendly"

embellishing my Bible study times
with colored pencils

Until next time, grace and peace.

If you care to answer these same questions on your blog, click on this link to join in:

Post Script: The refrigerator repairman gave us a very helpful tip this afternoon. When the appliance is making a funny sound, record it with your cell phone so you can play it back for the repair person. This is much better than trying to copy the sound with your voice. How clever!!!

13 comments:

Mari said...

I haven't had s'mores in years either, but they are good!
Thanks to Gary for being a faithful proofreader. He does good!
No hang gliding for ne either...
I like your new couches. I like the area rug too. It looks very similar to ours.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I may have had a s'more earlier this year, like in February when we had a weeny roast and bonfire at our kids' fire pit at their house. We had a party for my hubby's birthday there, and yes, I'm quite sure I had several s'mores. I am looking forward to s'more s'mores in October when we go to the mountains for a few days with the kids. I love s'mores, can you tell? I love your cute haircut. Mine is quite short right now too, but I am hoping it will grow back. It was a haircut that I didn't want to happen the way it ended up! I may be looking for a new stylist, which is a pain as there aren't many to choose from around here! I know August was a difficult month for you all, and I do pray September will be much better. You are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Robin in Virginia said...

I haven't eaten a s'more in years. Really not a fan of marshmallows! Love the new haircut! I am glad that Gary is feeling better each day. Hang gliding would be a no for me. Enjoy the remaining days of August, Barbara!

ellen b. said...

That is a clever bit of advice from the refrigerator repair man. I'm with you on the hang gliding, no way, Jose! Is that a cliche!? Fun to see your answers for the Hodgepodge!

Terri D said...

You zip-lined, Barb, and I would never try that!! This was a fun Hodgepodge!! You mentioned my pending retirement. I've been blogging about it for the last few weeks. My last day at work is Sept. 5th and I am blessed to be able to do it now and I'm a little apprehensive too. A new chapter!!!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Such a fun HP but I just couldn't find the time to participate this week. Enjoyed the pics and Gary looks right at home at the desk. Happy rest of the week!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

With that said, I think spilt ice cubes are water under the fridge. Recording its sound is a good idea. It could be number 1 in the music hit parade.

God bless.

Pamela said...

Not a hang glider here either! What a cute photo of your husband and that's a great tip to record an odd sound for the repairman.

Joyce said...

S'mores are a little too rich for me, but I do love a toasted marshmallow. And I must have marshmallows in my hot cocoa. Just had a freezer repair this week. Sadly it wasn't making a noise as a fan broke, but no noise tells them something too. Hope you have a nice day!

Jennifer said...

I really like your new couches...and how sweet that your husband proofs your posts for you. My husband (dear as he is) is not even much interested in reading my posts. Ha. And I am sure I would never be caught on a hang glider. No way. Enjoyed your post and looking around your blog a bit. Nice to meet you:)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I really love your hair cut short. I got mine cut this week...just a little shorter too. I wear a ball cap when I hike! I hope you both feel good this weekend and hopefully the weather will improve soon! I hope...I hope! Hugs!

Linda said...

It's ok to eat ice-cream i.e. fall off the wagon. I like Publix brand of frozen yogurt, and I have been eating the Peach Melba frozen yogurt. I can't really have ice cream, so frozen yogurt it is. I am glad to see Gary is on the mend, smiles. Thank you for the kind words you left on my blog, smiles.

Shug said...

Nice post. I am visiting from over at Billie Jo's blog. I always enjoy getting to meet and read other bloggers post. Your hair cut is very cute. I keep saying I'm going to cut my hair...but yet, it is still the same ol same. Isn't it wonderful to purchase new furniture? So exciting to see how it looks in our homes vs on the floor at the furniture store. Hope you all enjoy a lovely Labor Day and stay safe.

The Ministry of Green

multi-purpose path in my neighborhood The current rainy season has just deposited another deluge of water in my neighborhood. It is mid-to-l...