Thursday, July 4, 2024

Celebrating the 4th of July 2024

 

a little sparkle added to the 
potted Mandevilla

Today I'm inspired by Billie Jo, a new blogging friend (for me). From her blog, Afternoon Coffee and Evening Tea, I'm responding to questions she has asked about favorite things related to this holiday….. To see her cheery blog, click on this link.

http://afternooncoffeeandeveningtea.blogspot.com/2024/07/this-or-that-fourth-of-july-edition.html


Here are my replies: 


1. Hot Dogs or Hamburgers? 


I enjoy both but today we’re having Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato Sandwiches with potato salad. For dessert, Gary is having chocolate cream pie and I'll slice into an apple pie, both courtesy of Publix. 


home fire works from a previous year

2. Celebrate at home or at the pool/beach/ park? 

We prefer quieter venues as we age, and since we’ve been out a lot lately, we plan to celebrate at home. Yesterday our retirement community had a golf cart parade that was well-done and very long. We don't have a golf cart, so we enjoyed watching them roll by.

fireworks with my 11 grandchildren,
when they were a lot younger

3. Fireworks live or on television? 

Even with the fun of the holiday, it is hot summertime here with sticky high humidity. The heat index (how hot it feels) for our town is forecasted to be well above 100 degrees today. We have brand new living room reclining love seats just steps from the kitchen and bathrooms. We’ll be watching fireworks on TV in total comfort.

very comfortable, much like
the seats in EPIC Theaters

4. Music playing during the live fireworks or just the ooohhs and aaahhhs? 

I do like music during fireworks with the William Tell Overture being a given, of course!! And for the last about 30 years, Lee Greenwood's God Bless the U.S.A.

5. Big shindig party or small family gathering? 

Just the two of us this year.

6. Watch Jaws or No Thank You? 

No desire here to watch Jaws. We will probably watch a patriotic holiday-themed movie this afternoon. I've got a stack of appropriate DVDs starring Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks, or perhaps Turner Classic Movies on TV will have something for us. At any time of the year, we lean toward patriotic, military, and historical themes (also a lot of westerns).

7. Wear special Red, White, and Blue clothes or whatever clothes are currently on top of the pile? 

Yesterday:

T-shirt from Hobby Lobby

Today:

purchased a long time ago
and saved for special occasions

8. You're a Grand Old Flag or Stars and Stripes Forever? 

Both!


Have a wonderful holiday as we enjoy the blessings others have won for us. May God bless their memories and inspire us all to be unselfish and brave for the sake of others.  

Until next time, grace and peace.

8 comments:

Mari said...

I'm also a friend of Billie Jo and thought this was a fun one.
Hamburgers are my choice
I like quiet at home with some family or friends
Live fireworks, although I'm not a fan of crowds
Patriotic music during fireworks is great!
Small family gathering for us - my sister and BIL are coming for supper.
No Jaws. Right now we are watching The Patriot, per Terri D'Orsaneos suggestion.
Red white and blue t-shirt for the holiday
I like both!
Have a great day!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Happy Independence Day! I love your comfy sofa/recliners! Perfect place to sit and watch the "parade" or fireworks or what have you today!! Loved your post!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

It's way too hot for us to be out and about to catch fireworks, Barbara. We will do the same as y'all in the comfort of our cool home.
Blessings always!

Terri D said...

I will go visit Billie Jo when I post this comment. I love your tshirts!! There were lots of red white and blue outfits at the clubhouse today, for our community gathering. It was great fun. Perhaps Gary would share his chocolate pie with me. I would prefer that over apple, too!! Coconut custard would be even better!! LOL Love & hugs!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am so happy you liked this fun post! I enjoyed reading your answers. We had a nice day, and now I am showered and in my jammies!

Daniela said...

Happy Fourth of July!

Linda said...

You know, I remember reading this, but don't remember commenting, LOL. Chalking it up to old age (me, lol). Wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

Robin in Virginia said...

Happy belated 4th, Barbara! It sounds like you had a lovely day. We stayed home (not a fan of crowds) as it was just the two of us. Watched A Capitol Fourth from 8 to 9:30 (good fireworks). Enjoyed reading your responses to Billie Jo's this or that. Happy Saturday!

Whups!

Mary Engelbreit Something troubling has been pointed out to me, an issue about which I did not know there was a problem. Becki, of Field Lil...